Clark Hill/Lake thurmond, Augusta, GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Two nice dives today: air temps were warm, lake was flat, water temp was 59 at the surface, vis 6-8'. First dive was to 118' for 1:06. We dove down the rocks to the plane (lots of fish on the plane today), headed 0 degrees to the missle (airplane fuel drop tank) at 80' today. We dropped down past the 105' ledge to 118' then made our way to the 80' wall. We swam much of the 80' wall then swam up to the 65' wall. We swam about 100' or so down this wall then angled up to the 55' wall. The big stump had lots of fish today. We then dropped down the north wall at about 65' before turning South. We crossed the pipeline, passed the line of stumps at 30', then swam the entire 35-40' ledge. Lots of small fish here today. We angled upward to the 20' dropoff and continued the swim to the dam rocks. Huge school of shad today. This is really a cool experience with several hundred fish about 3-4" long swimming in unison. when you exhale they swim off, then quickly return and circle. Though the vis has not returned to the 10'+ range, it was still good diving.

Darn, wish I knew about this last summer when I was working in Athens, GA at UGA. This sure sounds like fun!

Two of us enjoyed the storm today. Waves of 2-3' (not a boat on the lake today), 20+ knot winds, 57 air temp, but 59 water temp, vis 6-8' still. We pretty much had this end of the lake to ourselves. We dove 118' for 56 min. Lots of small fish and a couple of large bass. We began our dive with a descent down the rocks to the plane. From the plane we dove a 0 degree heading passing "Captain Bob" and continuing down to the "missle" at 80'. Dave and I then dropped to 118' then headed East to the 80' wall. We swam a piece of the 80' wall then did our deep stop along the 60' wall. We headed upward through the trench (yeah Dave's skull - not really dave's skull but the one he put there - is still there) and headed to the angel statue at 52' today. Fish around the angel statue today. From there we headed upward to the 40' ledge. Lots of small fish around the gnome statue. We dropped down to the three big rocks @52' (sizeable cat on the way). From there we returned to the plane where there were several large bream. Onward along the bouyancy course to the ski boat (also with fish) and then upward to 15' for an extended safety stop as we made our way back in. After we did our quick -read very quick, a new meaning to "air dry" in this 20K+ wind -change to dry clothing, we saw a pair of eagles enjoying the wind soaring back and forth along the dam. Not a bad ending to a dive.

Hey diveprof.

While you guys were at the lake, I was at Ginnie with Ron from Neptune doing my check-out dives. I went to Key Largo this past weekend and did 6 more dives. Absolutely love it.

I also live in Evans. I'd like to go to the lake and dive the plane. If you are going this Saturday, or any time soon, and you don't mind another dive buddy, I'd love to go. I have my own gear but would have to rent a tank and wetsuit from Ron, with just a little advance notice.

What are you wearing at the lake this time of year? 7mm?

Shoot me a message whenever you get a chance next time you go to the lake.

Matthew

We are diving the Lake this Sunday at 1p at E. DAm (SC side) for two dives. Temps are still in the lower 60 so a 7mm is needed with hood and gloves. We generally do a deeper dive first and a shallower one 2nd (2nd dive sunday will be about 2:45-3pm). For your first lake dive it would be best to join us on the second dive.We dive just about every weekend. Just PM me when you would like to join us. For wetsuit recommendations, I recommend a 7mm fullsuit (one piece) for year round local diving. Ron has nice selections. I've dove the scubapro 7mm suit and am currently in the xcel 7mm fullsuit. Both are nice. We dive hood and 7mm year round -even in the river. If it ain't 98.6, you are losing body heat, consuming more air. The river at it's warmest is 70 degrees and the lake below 30 stays 60s or cooler.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom