Clark Hill Lake/Lake Thurmond (Augusta, GA) today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Only two of us for the dive this morning at 10a. Some folks backed out. Geez, it's not like it was freezing today (34 degrees :D ). It was sunny and lowest water temp was 44 or 47 degrees depending on whose computer you were looking at). Vis was great at 15-20'. We were diving 7mm wetsuits and 80's today. Dive time was 52 minutes and max depth was 101'. We began our dive by dropping down to the 3 big rocks -swam right by them at first as the light penetration was so good that I didn't realize that I was already at 50'. After checking out the small fish at the 3 big rocks, we headed south past the pool filters to the 40' ledge. Great vis here today (20'+). After swimming most of the ledge we dropped down to the angel statue at 50' today and then continued on through the trench where we could see both sides clearly. Exiting to the north we dropped down further to about 68' and swam through the forest. We then headed west and dropped down to the 100' wall and turned south. Very cool today swimming the 100' wall in the dim light (like a full moon lit night). We didn't need to use our lights at all this dive. We then angled up to the 80' wall, again very nice with great vis. The log with the dive flag had a lot of small fish around it. We continue a ways down the wall (until within a few minutes of deco) then angled eastward and up to the three big rocks and headed south to the airplane. We could see most of the plane today. We swam west along the bouyancy course to the ski boat then went up the rocks to 15' for an 8 minute swimming safety stop to the east to shore. Great dive. Change from wetsuit to dry clothes took less than 2min today in the 34 degree air temp:D Very peaceful relaxing dive today.

Sounds like a great dive! The air was about the same temperature here in South Carolina today (all though I was nice and dry at weekend drill and not in the water), so a little too cold for my wussy self to get in the water. But when it warms up, this lake sounds like somewhere neat to go dive. I'm only about an hour and a half from the Augusta area, so maybe when it warms up in the spring, we can all plan a dive out there or something. Just an idea...

Regardless, sounds like a great day (even with the cold). Do you have any pictures or know where I can look at pictures of what you are talking about?

Thanks.

Caleb

I now have a underwater housing for my camera (no strobe yet:crying: ) and will try to take some shots and post soon (might wait until I can use the 3mm gloves though). Taking photos with 7mm gloves on is a bit challenging. No the photo in my avatar was not taken at Clark Hill :D

Several folks from Greenwood routinely make the journey to dive with us in the summer. You might could catch a ride with one of them if you like. Check my previous post for dive info on our river dive as well. It is also a good dive.

The Hot Hole dive was excellent, a fantastic trip. Sounds like you guys had an excellent dive as well. I will be joining you next weekend, although it looks like I may have to ask for a 10:30 start time. My Saturday morning men's Bible study does not get over until 09:30; we have five more weeks left in the current program.

The Hot Hole was not so hot, about 59 degrees to 48 degrees in some spots. The current ride was a trip, nothing like it anywhere I have been. You could literally ride the current out and the eddy right back to the start point! Depth maximum was 42 feet with the average being 33 feed. We had 15 on the boat, 14 dove. A great weekend. Full write up on the trip by DawgDiver http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=178525.

I will give you a call during the week to confirm Saturday. BTW, the river is getting extremely clear, may try to get in this Friday afternoon if you are up to it; not a full two hour drift but a hour kick around the trestle.
:monkeydan

See you there at 14:00 Andy! Hopefully a few others will join us.
:monkeydan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom