Citizen Scientist-Any first hand experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubachris743

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone. My wife and I along with my parents are taking a trip down to the Bahamas next spring and will be aboard the Cat Ppalu through Allstar Liveaboards. The trip is set to be a Citizen Scientist week to where were we would be moving sea urchins and documenting certain things. None of us has ever done this and just want to know what to expect. Obviously its our vacation so we want to have fun and unwind from work etc. Is it a stressful week? I get it that its still better then being at work! Thanks

**Its the only dates available that work with everyone's schedule and me going back to college the following month.

… week to where were we would be moving sea urchins and documenting certain things. None of us has ever done this and just want to know what to expect. Obviously its our vacation so we want to have fun and unwind from work etc. Is it a stressful week? I get it that its still better then being at work!
Such trips are designed to fill berths on a cruise and make some money for the sponsoring scientific Organization.

You can do as much or as little as you wish. They may rightfully assume you’re in for the “full experience”, so if you grow tired or disinterested, quietly advise the leadership. Your diving will be restricted to the specific locales dictated by the educational aspects of the trip, but nobody will force you into the water or perform any function which you do not wish to be involved.

You will likely not be making an earth shattering contribution to this organization’s research or science in general, but it will increase your awareness, it will increase public awareness of the Organization, and again- the Organization will garner a few dollars due to their draw factor, likely 10+% of your trip cost. (The minimum std. discount that trip-leaders get for booking larger groups.)

It’s all up to you. You can stay onboard and sunbathe or go poke around nearby while others do “the science stuff”. They will likely have worthwhile evening presentations that explain what you are seeing.

I do not understand the efficacy of “moving Sea Urchins”. I can only imagine that it’s being done to ’fix a problem’ which is a perferct tribute to the grand hubris of man. I may be missing the science, but it sounds to me like Lionfish hunting/eradication.

The Bahamas does have one underwater man made structure that will be a long lasting tribute to just that level of hubris- it’s a startlingly huge concrete u/w parabolic dish shape, strung with netting, that was to be a fish-farm containment. “Cobra cage”. Man proposes, God disposes.

Enjoy the education, and the assumably youthful energy of the leadership of the program.

Interesting. I looked it up:
An excerpt:

Update from August 14, 2021 Diadema Trip:

We recently conducted a citizen scientist trip aboard Cat Ppalu where 9 eager divers assisted with our reef restoration efforts. Throughout the week we focused our attention on Pillar Wall, clearing a large section of the reef of algae so that we could relocate diadema sea urchin. Over 50 sea urchins were relocated and can now call Pillar Wall home and will act as landscapers for the reef. Barracuda Shoals, one of our regular dive sites, has seen a 262% increase in coral cover over the last 15 years, which can almost entirely be attributed to the repopulation of sea urchins.

I've never done a live aboard but this sounds like a great trip. Is my sense that All Star is at least in the 4 star range if you choose one of their higher end boats? I've been suspicious of some of the live aboard outfits that appear to be a franchise model where the quality & safety of your trip can vary from locale to locale and boat to boat - again, just based on various postings and open source research. The 102' trimaran in the BVI, Cuan Lew, definitely caught my eye. I was a sailor long before a diver.

@Scubachris743 Have a great trip! Would love to hear your experiences.

Back
Top Bottom