Cinco de Mayo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1KWIK_69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Has anyone started a Cinco de Mayo thread? Maybe we could put a gathering together for those of us Scubaboarders that will actually be in the motherland on this holiest of holidays? :D

It's not celebrated here.

Well we Gringos like to celebrate the day that the French Army surrendered to some tough Mexican villagers with shots of Tequila, and I plan to do so! :D

Come to think of it, who hasn't the French army surrendered to???
:rofl3:

It's not celebrated here.

That's odd. It used to be (as of 4 years ago, the last time we were there) a big thing. There used to be bullfights at El Cedral and beaucoup partying at night. Did the locals stop doing this for some reason?

Never really been celebrated in Mexico. All schools and goverment offices are open. It is an "American" ad thing, too many Corona commercials. But then most American really don't know the history of the date - just a time to drink beer. But, who could refuse an excuse to drink a cold beer. Salud

Never really been celebrated in Mexico. All schools and goverment offices are open. It is an "American" ad thing, too many Corona commercials. But then most American really don't know the history of the date - just a time to drink beer. But, who could refuse an excuse to drink a cold beer. Salud

Actually, most MEXICANS we asked didn't know the history of the holiday, either. I knew, but they didn't. But that was just the dive guys...Of course, the dive guys like nothing better than "chupar unas chelas!" They'd use any excuse to do so.

Seriously, we were planning to head on over to el Cedral on the weekend for the bullfights. Usually on Saturday night, but will have to ask when I get there if it's this Saturday or next.

Unless I hear from someone on island that they no longer celebrate.

The Fiesta for El Cedral has nothing to do with Cinco de Mayo.

Yeah, most Americans think it's the Mexican Independence day, and know nothing about the French part. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom