CIDP and Hyperbaric oxygen therapy???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Do any of the highly esteemed sawbones here have any knowlege about chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP) and the potential use of Hyperbaric oxygen therapy??

It just seems to make common sence to me and I cant seem to find any reference (for or against) after a quite deep google search.

Thanks.

At this point it's purely theoretical. At the university of pennsylvania, some research in carbon monoxide poisoning shows that the peroxidation of neural tissue can cause a picture of demylination that can look similar to demylination in MS or CIDP. This has led to some speculation about the role for HBO in these syndromes. I believe that that is as far as it's gone at this point.

Peace
Babar

This is a pretty old thread, but since it's been resurrected, I'll just mention that CIDP is still not an approved indication for hyperbaric oxygen therapy. The Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society approved indications are linked here. U.S. Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) reimbursable indications are linked here. I'm sure that one could find a hyperbaric clinic or storefront outfit that would treat CIDP, but CMS and the private payers in the US would not reimburse for it. I could not find any peer-reviewed literature to support it.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom