Chromis vs Amphos vs Smart vs Zoom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chad8737

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone! I'm new to posting, but have used this site for most of my dive product research for the past few months (thank you for everyone's input!!!). I am torn between a few different dive computers and was wondering mainly if anyone recommends against any of the following computers.

In short, I would like a wrist/watch type of computer with basic features, easy to use, good audio/visual alarms, all around good first dive computer. Being a new diver, something more conservative sounds like a good idea too!

My research has narrowed my down to (prices are from local dive shops, as I will be purchasing to use within a week and cannot have it shipped to me from a cheaper, website store):

Suunto Zoop - $205
Sherwood Amphos (not air integrated) - $281
Scubapro Chromis - $302
Mares Smart - $337

Again, mainly looking to see if anyone out there recommends against or strongly for any of the above computers.
Thanks for your input!

Of those you listed I'd choose the Zoop if for no other reason than it's wrist top sized as opposed to wrist watch size which are too hard for my aging eyes to see. If you want something conservative then the Zoop will also suit. I have no experience with any of the others but did own a Gekko, the model before the Zoop, it was very reliable, easy to use and had user replaceable batteries, it fitted in Deep Sea Bungee mount which I also like. The battery went on for ever.

---------- Post added July 7th, 2015 at 10:28 AM ----------

PS Welcome to SB.

Too Bad you can't get a Geo. Don't have experience with any of those. But I've heard that one is very conservative.
Good Luck.

you can't get the N2ition from DGX by the end of the week? They're only in FTL... should be only 1 max 2 days
https://www.divegearexpress.com/zeagle-n2ition-3-gas-dive-computer

I'm on business (if you can call it that!) in Okinawa, Japan. Shipping is not an option. It's too bad because that dive computer sounds amazing all for a super low price! Should have planned my trip out here better...

I think I have eliminated the Zoop.
I got the Chromis for my wife and the Amphos for myself. Would you guys recommend getting the same watch as your dive buddy, or is it advantageous to have a different algorithm?
I have until I dive with them to decide (about 4 days)!

Thank you for your comments thus far!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom