Chromebook Dive log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basically "USB" is an electrical standard. It knows nothing about shape and size of a particular data stream flowing through it. Which is what subsurface needs to know.

The problem is that the Chromebook is supposed to be used more like a mobile for apps (from my understanding) and mobile apps are not written with USB support usually.

Nitpick in Greek: AFAIK it is about host mode that cellphones were not intended to work in, all the way to the wiring. With a cellphone you normally need to start with a special "OTG" cable to connect USB peripherals. It may or may not be the case w/ the Chromebook, I haven't tried.

I have to say it’s not a trivial issue.

The problem is that the Chromebook is supposed to be used more like a mobile for apps (from my understanding) and mobile apps are not written with USB support usually.

So it looks like nobody added USB support for the dive computers in subsurface mobile ?

Subsurface is an open source app, one of the main contributors is Linus Torvalds (who wrote Linux) so you can kindly ask the contributors to add support for USB computers (or write it yourself and ask them to add it to the source code)

I hadn't seen the subsurface app before. I have good news, and inconclusive news.

Suunto Device Support
According to this post: Google Groups
The Cobra and my DX is supported by Subsurface DiveLog.

No Luck, Yet... Testing on my high-end Samsung Chromebook (XE513C24), which I do have the Linux Beta installed...
A) Install the subsurface-mobile app from the PlayStore and when I plugged my Suunto DX into the USB port with a USB-C adapter the app did not recognize the watch.
B) Debian install for version Jessie - Downloads | Subsurface but when I tried to download the GPG signature it failed to download. I went ahead and installed the repo and just attempted insecure, but no luck. I have one version up from Jessie (8.0), my chromebook has Debian 9 (Stretch). I'm attempting an upgrade to Debian 10 (Buster) and might give it another go, if I do and am successful I will post the results and how I did it.

Then I decided to Try on my One-Plus 7T Phone (Android)
Installed subsurface-mobile app from the PlayStore and plugged in my watch with USB to USB-C adapter.
It worked! Sweet, so now I can pull all my logs without firing up the Windows computer I bought just for the 3D printer!

So, the question is @Frackingawesome does your friend have an Android phone and an adapter, either usb-micro to USB or usb-C to USB to connect to the USB cable they use for the Cobra?
Screenshot_20200524-145716.jpg
Screenshot_20200524-145733.jpg
Screenshot_20200524-151137.jpg
Screenshot_20200524-145803.jpg
Screenshot_20200524-151231.jpg

I hadn't seen the subsurface app before. I have good news, and inconclusive news.

Suunto Device Support
According to this post: Google Groups
The Cobra and my DX is supported by Subsurface DiveLog.

No Luck, Yet... Testing on my high-end Samsung Chromebook (XE513C24), which I do have the Linux Beta installed...
A) Install the subsurface-mobile app from the PlayStore and when I plugged my Suunto DX into the USB port with a USB-C adapter the app did not recognize the watch.
B) Debian install for version Jessie - Downloads | Subsurface but when I tried to download the GPG signature it failed to download. I went ahead and installed the repo and just attempted insecure, but no luck. I have one version up from Jessie (8.0), my chromebook has Debian 9 (Stretch). I'm attempting an upgrade to Debian 10 (Buster) and might give it another go, if I do and am successful I will post the results and how I did it.

Then I decided to Try on my One-Plus 7T Phone (Android)
Installed subsurface-mobile app from the PlayStore and plugged in my watch with USB to USB-C adapter.
It worked! Sweet, so now I can pull all my logs without firing up the Windows computer I bought just for the 3D printer!

So, the question is @Frackingawesome does your friend have an Android phone and an adapter either usb-micro to USB or usb-C to USB to connect to they USB cable they use for the Cobra?
View attachment 587865View attachment 587869 View attachment 587867 View attachment 587868 View attachment 587866
Wow that’s really good news.

Thanks for sharing !

Subsurface maintainer here.
- we aren't targeting ChromeBooks at all and this is completely untested. I wouldn't expect Bluetooth or USB serial support to work, but don't know either way
- running a 'real' Linux distro on a ChromeBook will work just fine, with the caveat that we have recently noticed that Debian and Ubuntu no longer are using identical versions of one of the critical libraries that we need - there are reports that at least Buster is, err, busted. It's really straight forward to compile from source and that would still work when you run Debian on your ChromeBook. Or you could run Ubuntu or Fedora or OpenSUSE which all have supported packages
- on Android all current Suunto dive computers are supported for downloads

Thanks so much guys... i will try that as soon as i can get back to him... I honestly had no idea that a usb to cellphone connection would even be possible... it is not quite as soon as a laptop but it will do and it is FREE so that is even better!!!

Thanks so much guys... i will try that as soon as i can get back to him... I honestly had no idea that a usb to cellphone connection would even be possible... it is not quite as soon as a laptop but it will do and it is FREE so that is even better!!!
I didn’t have an android phone for a while but I think the connector you use to charge them is a micro USB (or maybe a USB-C now ?)

I didn’t have an android phone for a while but I think the connector you use to charge them is a micro USB (or maybe a USB-C now ?)

Older phones use micro-USB and newer ones have switched over to USB-C.

I have a Dell Venue 8 7000 tablet, which has micro-USB, and a BlackBerry KEYone, which has USB-C. For both, I've gotten USB-OTG cables to download from my dive computers to Subsurface-mobile. I can confirm that both Android devices (Android 5.1 and Android 8.1) will download over USB-OTG with Cressi's PC FTDI interface and Sherwood's cable. (I believe Sherwood's Amphos/Amphos Air cable is also the same as Oceanic's Geo 2.0 cable.)

Android Devices

Dell Venue 8 7000 Android 5.1
BlackBerry KEYone Android 8.1

Dive Computers

Cressi Giotto/Leonardo with FTDI PC interface
Sherwood Vision with cable
Sherwood Amphos/Amphos Air with cable

With the latest version of Subsurface-mobile 3.0.7(4.9.4.113), the 2560 x 1600 resolution of the tablet is fully utilized in landscape, giving a desktop-like interface, i.e. see dive list and a dive profile at the same time.

Screenshot_2020-05-26-19-21-12.png

Screenshot_2020-05-26-19-25-53.png

They may need an "OTG" cable as it has the "host mode" wire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom