Christmas Island (Kiribati)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi!

Does anyone here have any experience or information about diving there?

I know that the place is known for it's good bonefishing, but how about diving???

Dive Safe

Pedda

I dove on Christmas Island, Kiribati in late June of 2017. Finding a dive company was difficult and arranging a dive in advance was not easy but I managed to dive twice ( in a one day dive trip while I was there).

I was warned before going that while it might be pristine, 80% of their coral is dead. I went anyway and rented my gear from the Villages Motel in London Kiritimati (which is where I would choose to stay if I return).

There are only two dive masters on Christmas Island (Kiritimati). The cost of the dive master, boat, fuel for the boat, captain, dive gear rental, and transportation to and from the boat was $300 AU. Oh and upon arrival in Kiribati, the government of Kiribati wanted me to pay $50 for a dive permit (which I did) but nobody asked to see it.

I dove a ship wreck, saw lion fish, eels, a white tip reef shark and a ton of fish. The visibility on the day I went was okay but not extraordinary. The diving there was good but not extraordinary (certainly not worth $300 AU). The dive sites we visited were located very close to the Sunset Horizon Motel.

Most people visiting Kiribati have to stay for a week because there are only two weekly flights entering Kiritimati and two weekly flights leaving via Honolulu or Fiji. The accommodations there are friendly but kind of like a 2 star backpacker with your own bathroom. I enjoyed my visit to Kiribati but advise that people bring their own dive gear and bring others to share the expense of the boat and captain).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom