Choosing Between 3 Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xeno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i have listed down few dive com within my budget range, and then eliminate one bye one based on features, and etc. But i still got trouble choosing as these 3 prices almost equal, i would like to seek advice from professional regarding my options based on their experiance or knowledge.

I want to use this dive computer for long term use including a possibilty taking technical diving

My options:

1. Hollis tx-1
2. Oceanic OCI
3. Mares icon Hd

Thanks

Tip 1. Don't buy a computer now just for technical diving in the future things will have changed and with the amount of extra kit you'll need for tech the cost of a new computer will almost insignificant in comparison.

All the 3 Comps you have chosen are AI - is this a conscious decision? (Don't worry I dive an AI computer but not one of the models you have suggested)

Someone will no doubt jump in here and shout loudly about the Shearwater Petrel or Perdix - Great computers by all accounts but no AI

Don't be brow beaten by people telling you not to use AI - its reliable - I've never had an issue.

Personally at your level I would just get a lower end computer say a Sunnto zoop etc that has nitrox while you gain experience and can thus decide what is best for you, rather than jumping in to a high end machine that may well be out of date by the time you need it's features

I own the Icon. Of all the computers I've looked at it was hands down the most intuitive (think iPhone), best screen and lots of great features that I find useful. It is also backwards compatible. In other words, Mares has continued to produce firmware updates to improve the computer. That said, it does have a few drawbacks. While it is a full decompression computer it does not support the use of Helium. It's limited to 3 gasses, which I understand for most tech dives is about average. Anymore than 5 is a little ridiculous. It also runs the Mares-Wineke RGBM algorithm, which although not the most conservative, there are others, especially those with user control that are more liberal. I think being conservative, especially when just starting out is a good thing. There's no way to know how your body will handle nitrogen loading.

As far as the Oceanic and Hollis computers you chose. They're made by the same company. Pretty much look the same, probably function very similar, however, the TX1 is definitely a full technical diving instrument. It supports the use of Helium and up to 7 gasses. For those reasons I would scratch the Oceanic.

IMO, if you want AI in a full tech computer the TX1 is the way to go. But I've heard it's not the most intuitive (of course familiarity fixes that) and obviously the screen is lacking compared to other options.

As @Diving Dubai mentioned, you'll get a lot of people recommending the Shearwater, but if you're just starting out you will likely have several years before jumping into technical diving (unless you have a lot of money, free time and determination) so I would wait before I put full technical diving capabilities at the top of this list as a must have feature. In several years there may be many more better options than what is available today. Plus it's been my observation that good dive computers hold their value pretty well, especially compared to other consumer electronics. So, you can always sell it when the time comes.

Buy a budget computer with gauge mode. "Zoop" does not has it but it will still function as a depth timer if you had violated it!! Some computers will lock out the unit for min of 24hrs and render it useless.
If you go down on certain route with certain agencies, tec computer is NOT an option. You have to turn your super-duper computer to gauge mode, well at least during the training. Heard the term "Ratio Decompression" before?
Technology comes and goes in the blink of an eye. So by the time you have qualified as tec diver, the computer that you had bought couple of years earlier probably has became obsolete!
Finally, you might venture into CCR in the future!! Not all tec computers are CCR compatible.
I dive with 2 bottom timers with pre-dive plan on a slate for my baby tec dive over 17yrs.

I'm assuming you are a newer diver (I cant say much) but I would definitely buy a lower level DC. As stated before, if you're looking for something to use in the future technology will certainly have advanced by that moment. I started with an Oceanic Data plus and hated it, then I dove with a borrowed suunto zoop and thought it was pretty good, then I bought a Suunto Vyper and fell in love with it. My next DC will probably be an AI vyper 2

If you want to buy a computer now that will be the most useful in Tech diving, of the 3, get the TX-1. It will still most likely end up as your backup computer later, if/when you start tech training. But, a backup computer that actually works as a tech computer is better and more useful than a backup computer that is only working in gauge mode.

Also, if you want to use your computer for tech diving, you should probably stick to buying a computer with a non-proprietary algorithm. I.e. one that uses an algorithm that is also supported by one of the popular deco dive planning tools, like V-Planner or Multi-Deco. Being able to plan a dive using the same algorithm that your computer uses is very preferable to planning with one tool/algorithm and then diving with a different algorithm. The popular planning tools that I know of support Buhlmann ZH-L16B and C with Gradient Factors, and VPM-B.

Also, if you want to use your computer for tech diving, you should probably stick to buying a computer with a non-proprietary algorithm

... and of the three, that would be the tx1. I don't expect the exact details of "PZ+" or "DSAT-based" are actually common knowledge.

... and of the three, that would be the tx1. I don't expect the exact details of "PZ+" or "DSAT-based" are actually common knowledge.

Yes. Good point on the clarification. But, the TX-1 doesn't use PZ+ or DSAT. It uses actual Buhlmann ZHL-16C with Gradient Factors.

I believe it is a legit tech computer.

I almost bought a TX-1 as my first computer. I didn't because I saw one in person and realized it was more puck-sized than watch-sized and I really wanted something smaller and more low profile. Well, and I got my Atom with AI for $200 less than a TX-1 with AI....

My options:

1. Hollis tx-1
2. Oceanic OCI
3. Mares icon Hd

Thanks

I don't have any comments on option 1 or 3 but I wanted to share that I seriously considered the Oceanic and reached out to the company through their "contact us" thing on their website. I also tried calling since they are local and getting them to respond to a prospective customer was like pulling teeth. I never heard back so I gave up on the idea. If I couldn't reach them before I had the product, forget about it when I actually have an issue. My experience is by no means a representation of everyone's experience here, but it definitely left me wanting more and looking elsewhere.

I don't have any comments on option 1 or 3 but I wanted to share that I seriously considered the Oceanic and reached out to the company through their "contact us" thing on their website. I also tried calling since they are local and getting them to respond to a prospective customer was like pulling teeth. I never heard back so I gave up on the idea. If I couldn't reach them before I had the product, forget about it when I actually have an issue. My experience is by no means a representation of everyone's experience here, but it definitely left me wanting more and looking elsewhere.

I've had similar experience with Oceanic... and several other "name brand" scuba gear manufacturers.

That is why I bought my computer from my local shop. I am pretty confident that they would take care of me/it if I had an issue. To whatever extent they can, anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom