Choosing a regulator..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqualung makes good regulators too.

I have a set of Aqualung Titan LX. I am not sure how it is in your market but Aqualung's prices are pretty competitive in Thailand.

I just got a second set of regulator. And went through alot of research before deciding. With good comments from DA_Aquamaster and other respectful members on this board on SP reg. plus consideration on future possibilities in diving double, I ended up with Scubapro MK16/G250hp combo with a R390 as alternate source.

Would have go for Apex DS4/ATX50 combo but they aren't availabe here locally.

So, these might be some alternatives you look into.

P.S. ......and I didn't feel that I spent a fortune on each set of reg. I bought.

cnctina:
Did you spend a fortune for it?

CNCTINA-
I don't know what you'd consider a fortune, but no, it wasn't cheap. I believe it was around $600.

I agree the scuba pro mk25 / s600 , one of the best combos you'll find. Not cheap though, here in Spain , you'd pay 500 Euros . My dive shop sells scuba pro and my instructor wants to sell me that kit for 20 off retail price. Yes its tempting but I saw the Mares abyss with v 22 or 32 ? for same as discouted price for the scuba pro elseware . dont know what to do yet but might go for the mares .

Right now my LDS has the MK18/G250 for $289 USD
I don't know about the G250 , as I have the MK18/G250HP for a similar price ... I love it and no need to spend a fortune

DB

D_B:
Right now my LDS has the MK18/G250 for $289 USD
I don't know about the G250 , as I have the MK18/G250HP for a similar price ... I love it and no need to spend a fortune
That's a really good deal given that it is just about the cost of a G250HP second stage alone and well under what the Mk 18 G250 combination probably retailed for.

As far as I know the Mk 18 was never marketed widely if at all in the US. I am assuming the dealer is selling them on some sort of clearance basis wthin the rules, but be sure to check to be sure they are an SP dealer and are not reselling a grey market or on-line, off shore (and non US warranty covered) regulator. I would be particularly suspicous of this given that the Mk 18 has not been cataloged in the US.

Just a note: The sale is at Ocean Enterprises and is were I purchased them , I have the warr. tags and the MK18/G250HP has been registered in my name at ScubaPro with no problem (actually , the SP rep. is the one who picked them out for us)

DB

I have four of the Oceanic Alpha 7 SP4 regulators. They are inexpensive and breath very smooth and easy at 130 feet. Can't see anything being any better.

I tried two of the low end Scubapro MK2/R190 regs and had problems with both of them. The would free flow and did not breath as well as the SP4. When I returned them and asked why they were problematic, the dealer said "they are low end models, now if you buy this here M25T/S600T I think you will be happy" Yea, for $1,200 each I think YOU will be more happy if I buy two of those!!!

At the risk of having some angry SP dealer complain about critisim in a forum, that is an extremely poor dealer response. The Mk 2 is low end, but is a quality regulator and is really bullet proof and reliable when set up properly by the dealer/tech. You do not have to pay more money to get reliability or a reg that works right.

Tuning an unbalanced second stage is a bit more critical as you have to be careful to adjust the cracking effort high enough that it does not freeflow in a face down position (due to case gemoetry fault issues), but also not so high that it breathes hard (1.0 to 1.2" of water works well).

The second stage also needs to be adjusted with a supply pressure at the maximum pressure the reg will see in service (3300 psi in most cases). If you adjust the second stages on an unbalanced piston first stage operating at a lower supply pressure (say 1000-2000 psi) and adjust it for a reasonable inhalation effort, it will almost always freeflow when attached to a full 3000-3300 psi tank as the intermediate pressure will be significantly higher.

Bo-jan:
I'm thinking of getting my own equipment but I don't want to spend a fortune.

What I had in mind is an Mk16/R390 combination from ScubaPro. What do you think? What else could I choose from in the same price range? Shops nearby offer also Apeks and Beuchat regulators. Thanks for the tips!

Cheers!
Bojan

You can pick up an Envoy Deluxe for about $200, and it's a damn fine breathing reg.

I went with the 50D/ZX as I wanted a sealed first stage. I got a heck of a deal on Ebay for a new one, but that was about a year ago, and the dealer who was selling them appears to be no longer doing so. However I do see good deals on new Zeagle Regs often well below LP prices new.

If you are stuck on one brand don't be. I purchase zeagle because out of a list of about six regs I decided would work well for me, it was the first one that came along at a great price. I'd decide on what you want (balanced/sealed/adjustable 2nd/whatever) then read as many reviews as you can find. Make a list of the regs you feel are worthy, and then start looking for deals. If you are not prepared when a deal comes along, you may not know what you had until it's snapped up.

From everything I've read, there are very few poor performing regs made these days.

narcT:
I have four of the Oceanic Alpha 7 SP4 regulators. They are inexpensive and breath very smooth and easy at 130 feet. Can't see anything being any better.

I tried two of the low end Scubapro MK2/R190 regs and had problems with both of them. The would free flow and did not breath as well as the SP4. When I returned them and asked why they were problematic, the dealer said "they are low end models, now if you buy this here M25T/S600T I think you will be happy" Yea, for $1,200 each I think YOU will be more happy if I buy two of those!!!

I went to check the price and found that there is now a Alpha 8/SP 5 available...more sweetness!

DIN model is available for $199, I'm getting a pair of these for my doubles!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom