Choosing a regulator..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bo-jan

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting my own equipment but I don't want to spend a fortune.

What I had in mind is an Mk16/R390 combination from ScubaPro. What do you think? What else could I choose from in the same price range? Shops nearby offer also Apeks and Beuchat regulators. Thanks for the tips!

Cheers!
Bojan

The MK16 is being replaced by the MK17. Apeks DST/ATX50 is a good alternative although I don’t know what the price is like in Slovenia. A Scubapro MK2+/R190 is probably cheaper and it is very reliable.

Go with the mk2-190 or mk2-380, you can get them new from LP or e-bay cheap.

"Cheap on ebay" shouldn't be the main argument for buying a regulator.

Either the MK2/R190 or the MK16/390 would work fine; the 2nd stages are identical except for size, and I seriously doubt you'd be able to tell the difference in breathing between either of the 1st stages under normal recreational conditions, assuming the regs are tuned well. The main diffference between the MK2 and MK16 is that the MK2 is an unbalanced piston, about the most simple and reliable 1st stage available, while the MK16 is a balanced diaphragm, also very reliable (but more parts and probably more reliant on regular service) but delivers more air, and keeps the IP stable even when the tank pressure drops to almost nothing. If you're a new diver this may not be the advantage it seems; as an unbalanced piston will begin to increase breathing resistance as the tank pressure drops well below 500PSI, when most divers are exiting the water anyway. If for some reason you forget to pay attention to your SPG, or it stops working, the MK2 will "remind" you that it's time to head for the surface. To be honest, I can't notice any difference in mine until about 300PSI, (I did a little "test" at a safety stop) so the often-made argument that unbalanced regs breathe badly at the end of a dive is only true if you like to run your tank to dangerously low pressures.

The MK16 is apparently being discontinued, which might mean you can get a deal on it. Lots of people like this reg, and it does have the advantage that you could pair it effectively with a high performance 2nd stage like the G250.

SP discontinued the Mk 16 in the US on July 25th. The LDS owner advised SP is not reducing the cost or having a sale per se, but with Mk 16's on clearance, SP is allowing dealers to sell them with no pricing restrictions. The R390 is also being discontinued in the US and will be replaced with the R290 so I suspect it may be clearenced as well.

Given that dealer cost is probably around half of MSRP at around $80-$85 for a Mk 16 first stage alone, and maybe about $150-$160 for a Mk 16 R390, dealers will have a lot of room for discounting. It is also coming up on the end of the fiscal year and many dealers may be pushing to make sales targets, so a particular SP dealer may have an incentive to sell a Mk 16 R390 at not much over cost plus shipping.

I've known many shops that have used clearance deals to put together either some great package deals or create some low priced options to compete with internet/LP sales, etc so it could be a great opportunity to get a great reg at a great price.

I use a Scubapro MK25/S600 and love it! Scubapro...don't forget the parts for life program!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom