Choosing a regulator, help a fellow out :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ofl0926

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey guys... its been a while since i post on here. a lot has been going on in my life. last diving i did was at devils den in florida. it was real nice but i didnt come prepare. the water was too cold for me LOL. i eventually got use to it. after that i ended up getting hurt on the job. i tore my LCL in my knee in a fire department training exercise and been going threw physical therapy for close to two months. well now in july i am going on my honeymoon and we going to atlantis in the bahamas. we plan on doing some diving out there and as well during the summer.
so here is where i need the help. only thing i need to get is a new set of reg set for myself. my fiance has all her equipment, just need to get it serviced. we do try to dive a lot during the summer. most of it is shore diving with the occasional boat dive. we do live in miami so the water is always warm.
i know before i got hurt everyone some ppl were telling me atomic is the best around. i had others tell me that apeks is the best too. just last night i was reading that Hollis is pretty damn good too. so what is recommended? just looking for some advice.

Atomic, Scubapro, Apeks and HOG are all great. Each has +/- but all are good performing safe reliable regulators.

I would say to look at the brand your fiance has and what other brands the LDS that services her sell. Then you can build a relationship with one shop. Do you really want to have to go to both the Ford and GM dealer? Ask yourself what features do you really need and what do you really want? You might look here on the classifieds and save some $$ on last years model.

For what its worth I dive a Scubapro MK25/A700 and my wife a MK25/G600 both with AIR2's. I have my AIR2 on my Dive Rite BP/W. I also have a HOG D1 and a vintage Dacor Olympic 400. The Dacor doesn't breath as good below 60' but all the others are great.

Good luck and enjoy the water! Congrads on getting married! Remember if you take any medication or have any health issues that are listed on the dive forms at the resort go get a waiver/sign off from you phycian. Other wise you might have to go see a "local" at $$$ to get a sign off. I have had instructors tell me some horror stories.

Later Mon,
Nick

Atomic, Scubapro, Apeks and HOG are all great. Each has +/- but all are good performing safe reliable regulators.

I would say to look at the brand your fiance has and what other brands the LDS that services her sell. Then you can build a relationship with one shop. Do you really want to have to go to both the Ford and GM dealer? Ask yourself what features do you really need and what do you really want? You might look here on the classifieds and save some $$ on last years model.

For what its worth I dive a Scubapro MK25/A700 and my wife a MK25/G600 both with AIR2's. I have my AIR2 on my Dive Rite BP/W. I also have a HOG D1 and a vintage Dacor Olympic 400. The Dacor doesn't breath as good below 60' but all the others are great.

Good luck and enjoy the water! Congrads on getting married! Remember if you take any medication or have any health issues that are listed on the dive forms at the resort go get a waiver/sign off from you phycian. Other wise you might have to go see a "local" at $$$ to get a sign off. I have had instructors tell me some horror stories.

Later Mon,
Nick

thank you Nick. gladly i dont take any medication and my finace only takes birth control. but thanks for the heads up.
as of now my future wife dives with a aqualung Legend regulator and her seaquest bc has the air2 system which acts as her octo. i dive with a halcyon bp/w. i have to local shops that i do business with. both are great and last time i was shopping for regs one told me atomic and the other apeks.

Just get the same brand as your finace because an Aqualung shop will not nesicerly service other brands. I have Sherwood and Posiedon rigs for spacific reasons, and I only know one shop around here that will service both.

Apex is a European brand and finding parts and service can some time be difficult. Same with Poseidon.

First congrats on the wedding ! I second what nfarrar said, check out what your LDS sells and services. I have dove the Atomic and Apeks and really liked them but I am now diving Aqualung Legend LX Supreme and it is a great reg, Aqualung just changed it 's looks and there are a few shops selling last years model for $350.00 ish. Just another thought for you.​

Thanks for the input fellas. I am going to checkout those legend regs that are on clearance. Also, how are these regs once you get your advance and possibly want to do some rec diving.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

There is a set, new if I remember on the classified section right now. Dont know if they are a good deal or not.

The Legend is Aqualungs top reg, I have been diving one for 2 years from 48deg fresh water to 84deg salt and down to 160 and it breaths as smooth as silk and I just bought another for a back-up. Apeks is a Aqualung company and if I am correct the closest Apeks reg is the XTX200 which is a great reg. Oh so you will know I am NOT a tech diver.

I am going to call the one of the two shops I deal with that sells Aqualung. The other shop doesn't carry them.
How about an online retailer for the Aqualung closeout regs? I also saw that diveriteinscuba has a nice package for Hollis regs and one of the two stores I go to sells these. Any worth looking at them?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

You should check both Hog and Hollis because they are all clones of Apeks. The other H brand is SP clone.
There is NOT much difference between XTX200/FSR and XTX50/DST or DS4 except the PRICE!

After sell service is the MOST important criterion to consider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom