Choosing a liveaboard trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone -
We have a dive group consisting of people from age 10 to age 60. there are about 18 of us, and we are looking for a live aboard in the Bahamas. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences to relate? The Cuan Law looks very interesting, as does the Nekton Pilot - but we have never talked to anyone who has acutally been on either of these.
thanks for any info!
:popcorn: Marcy

Take a look at the Explorer Ventures boats.
Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving

I went on a trip with them a few weeks ago, and I have nothing but positive things to say. The boat I was on was a little old, but it was actually scheduled to be retired 2 weeks after I went. All their current boats should be fantastic.

I'm assuming the 10 year old is snorkling. Do any companies even certify divers that young? Either way, you might want to check on the youngins as liveaboard operations have minimum age requirements.

Hi Everyone -
We have a dive group consisting of people from age 10 to age 60. there are about 18 of us, and we are looking for a live aboard in the Bahamas. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences to relate? The Cuan Law looks very interesting, as does the Nekton Pilot - but we have never talked to anyone who has acutally been on either of these.
thanks for any info!
:popcorn: Marcy

I would check out Aquacat liveaboard also.
Are the 10-60 years old people all divers?
If the 10 year old is not diving, are they going to be bored without a tv set for a week? No internet either!
Are some snorkelers?
What time of year?
With a group of 18 people you are going to need to book ahead of time as that would be the whole boat in most cases.

I have done the Nekton Rorqual and Nekton Pilot. Excellent trips and great diving. I have videos and photos and trip reports on my website. www.rnrscuba.net If you have any specific questions about the boats feel free to ask. Basically, the Nekton boats aren't luxury but they are dumps either. Each room as its own bathroom and there is a very nice top deck for hanging out, shade and sun areas, great food and great crew.

There are lots of videos regarding each of the boats on YouTube. If you do a search on 'bahamas scuba' or 'nekton bahamas' or 'aquacat bahamas' you can see what the boats look like.

robin:D

The Aqua Cat is good for a mixed group. For those that don't want to dive 5 times a day, they can do shore excursions. The 10 year old would love the swimming pigs.

thanks for all of the great info. Actually, this group did a live aboard - adults without kids on the Aquacat about 3 years ago. It was a blast - but they are booked up for the week we want to go!
Acutally, the 10 year old is a diver - PADI certified as a junior diver. We do have one adult who doesnt dive.
I appreciate your help! Marcy

thanks for all of the great info. Actually, this group did a live aboard - adults without kids on the Aquacat about 3 years ago. It was a blast - but they are booked up for the week we want to go!
Acutally, the 10 year old is a diver - PADI certified as a junior diver. We do have one adult who doesnt dive.
I appreciate your help! Marcy

I understand that the 10 year might be a certified diver, but certain liveaboard's have insurance requirements that might restrict kids.

Explorer Ventures limits 10 and 11 year olds to 40 feet or less. The problem is they don't really go to many 40 ft. or less areas. Some of the other companies might have similar rules.

Might just be something extra to check into.

I would recommend the Cuan Law. With 18 people you've almost filled the boat thus wouldn't have the problem as posted in: Cuan Law cancellation - be forewarned when you book. There is lots for non-divers to do on the Cuan Law (snorkeling, sailing, skiing). On our trip late last year there were only about 12 divers and the other 8 were did snorkeling and sailing). It's a unique sailboat and the staff were excellent. The dives were great especially the night dives and you couldn't ask for better meals. There is also a roomy common area and a media room. The BVI are easy to get to and we were actually late due to our luggage not showing up with us and they came and got us with no complaints. I know many are upset by the problem of a trip being cancelled, but it's a shame to me that the positives of the Cuan Law are being overlooked.

thank you all - I will check into the debth restriction for the 10 year old! good point. we are looking seriously at the Cuan Law because one of our group is not a diver. And some of us are not totally hard core - and it looks like it offers a lot. But, our group isn't 18 as previously thought - it is only 11. So I do worry about the cancellation. We will see! thanks to all of you who have helped me. I love Scuba board!
Marcy

Jr. Open Water diver is 40 ft. with qualified parent, guardian or PADI professional if they are under 12 yrs of age

Since you only have 11... look at the Juliet out of Florida...

Juliet Sailing and Scuba Diving

Back
Top Bottom