Choosing a Backplate and Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Switching to a BP/W, you'll probably drop at least 2 kg of weight immediately, maybe 3 kg (going to an aluminum plate).

You may drop lead because you are now carrying the same ballast in the backplate, the total ballast would be the same.

That being said, you may lose some ballast if the jacket you are using is buoyant. When I switched my jacket was +6# and I no longer needed to carry the ballast for that.

In all I lost 6# of lead needed for the jacket, and then exchanged 6# of lead ballast for 6# of steel plate ballast. I lost 12# of lead but only 6# of ballast. Hope this makes sense.

If you are swimming out of trim, your SAC most definitely will improve once you are in trim.

On my last trip, even packing to the minimum, a steel BP would have thrown me over weight in baggage. Years ago I started out with a steel BP but soon traded it for aluminum.
90% of back plates are virtually identical so go with the cheapest. There is some variations in wings, so do a little research to determine your best lift and contour. I am just getting over shoulder surgery, but still find my barebones Hog harness to be just fine. Cheap is good here too. I carry weights in pockets on my waist straps and I balance without a problem.

This thread is flopping around more than my tank did. Anyone have any information for me about what a "Hogarthian style" harness means?

This thread is flopping around more than my tank did. Anyone have any information for me about what a "Hogarthian style" harness means?
It’s a one piece continuous piece of webbing, it forms both the shoulder straps and the waist belt. I don’t use that style because I have a big chest and wide shoulders so mine is more like a b/c harness. Let go of everything you think you know at this point and do a search, hereof the web in general and you will find some YouTube videos to explain it all, once you have the basic down come back and ask why some of us “non” standard size people don’t use it.

Don't get fixated on steel versus aluminum backplate. I use steel when I am driving to my diving location. When I fly I take my aluminum plate. Do you realize a HOG aluminum backplate is less than $100? (Also other manufacturers aluminum plates)

On the harness issue I bought the HOG harness with shoulder pads, quick release buckles on both shoulders and chest strap. I ditched the shoulder pads, easy to do and not necessary.

Found this. I don't know the channel, but it's a pretty good overview of BP/W options. I'll just note that why he calls a "belt slide" is usually called a triglide. And he appears to primarily be a cold water diver so his recommendations for STAs and wing size need to be understood in that context.

Since you are unsure of what you are looking for, I recommend you look at the HOG TBC package. This will give you some options to choose while taking the guesswork out of ensuring compatibility across the pieces of kit.

Give Divers Supply in Marietta GA a call or contact Jim Lapenta here on ScubaBoard.

-Z

I still have no idea in general scuba of the purpose of anything aluminium

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom