Choose the drysuit - ScubaPro? Bare? Whites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fatiger

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I travel with my diving gear a lot and most of the time I dive in tropical water.
Now I plan to learn cave in this winter and need to buy a dry suit.
Can anyone give me some advise for the dry suit?
In my mind I have this 3 choices.
ScubaPro Fjord vs Bare Trilam HD Tech vs Whites Fusion
Maybe some other model that I should consider?
I'm a person that can handle cold well!
I try some diving in water temp around 14C with a 5mm wet and goes well.
I hope to look for a dry suit that is light in weight and durable (easy to fix leak) and will be good for cave or wreck diving.
I'll need the suit to have pocket and p-value on it as well.
Please help this newbie to pick the right drysuit.
Sorry that I may ask some wrong or stupid question, please point out if I'm wrong in the way to think of the choice of drysuit to consider!

I personally like DUI's TLS350 Signature Series (custom fitted). I can not easily fit stock sizes, being female, 5'6" & 200lbs. For cave, I like a suit that is a little more streamlined. The extra $ spent to have it fit me is well worth it!

Bare Tri-lam HD Tech Dry is a great suit. My G/F and I both own one as well as one of our Dives buddies. The DUI TLS-350 is also a great suit one I was considering compared to the Bare but in the End for me I liked the exterior of the Bare better and has everything they DUI suit had and then and saved little over $800

Thx for the reply! I also like the Bare HD trilam a lot and consider this for my first choice, but some of my friend told me to take a look of the White Fusion, say it is very light and good for travel and streamline. Anyone comment on the White Fusion?

Fusion is a love it or hate it suit. They are very streamlined, stretchy and different than anything else on the market. Definitely seek one out to try on.

Another more traditional option is the new Hollis suit, the entire suit has some stretch yet is closer to a traditional trilam in construction. Fits more snug than a standard suit though. Its my current favorite choice.

Try all of them and see which you like as it is a purely personal choice. I like the Bare Nexgen I have and I have compared it to Whites and DUI. It is the under garment that keeps you warm, not the suit. So get the suit that is comfortable to you and allows full range of motion. I have over a hundred dives on my Nexgen and other than replacing the latex neck seal (I wore it out) I have had no other issues!

Mike

I have attempted to try on the whites Fusion and didn't like it too much work to get into for me and never gave it a shot after that I was going to rent it while waiting for my suit to come in. However I have dove with a guy that owns one and he sy's he loves it. very easy to maintaon bouyancy etc.. It comes apart into 2 piecec the inside of the shell and outer which was cool. His only complaint about the suit was same as mine it is a little difficult to get on. But either way you go most drysuits especially from the Big manufactures are quality made suits and sure you will be happy with either. Best thing to do is try to try each one on as they will each have a different fit/feel

Also what ever suit you get make sure you get the Suspenders and 2 lg pockets. you will be happy and use them.

http://barescubadiving.com/usa/drys...accessories/pockets/bellows-pocket-zipper.asp

The Bare suit already comes Standaed with the Heavy duty wrist/neck seals so no need to upgrade as well as the Upgraded K-Padz Knee protection

I have two suits - a Whites Catalyst (a traditional trylam) and the Fusion. Have not dived the Catalyst since I bought the Fusion. I find it easier to put on than the Catalyst and don't understand the issue some people have reported with it. However I am pretty much exactly average in size so everything is always made to fit me.

I have had to replace the wrist seals after about two and a half years of use - they deterioratied and I managed to get a fairly large hole in one and could see the beginnings of another in the other wrist. Oddly the neck seal was still in great shape no sign of deterioration at all. Made for a VERY wet dive when I discovered the hole (poured water out of my boots at the end of the dive). Fixed it with a bicycle patch and some duct tape and managed to dive the entire weekend (9 more dives) with only minor leakage.

The big difference is the flexibility and comfort both in and out of the water. The Fusion is just so much more comfortable and easier to dive in than the trilam suit.

For travel the Fusion wins hands down. Rolls up to 1/4 the size of a trilam or less.

I would dive both before making a decision.

I travel with my diving gear a lot and most of the time I dive in tropical water.

There are three styles of drysuit: neoprene, crushed neoprene, and laminate (often trilaminate). Of the three, nothing packs as well or dries as fast as trilam. While all a durable, the crushed neoprene is almost bulletproof, and neoprene and crushed neo are super easy to fix. Trilam has no inherent insulative properties - your undies (extra $$) keep you warm. You can therefore dive the broadest temperature range in a trilam.

Now I plan to learn cave in this winter and need to buy a dry suit.

I took a Cavern course. I was pretty set on bringing my drysuit, but the instructor kept "suggesting" that I wear a wetsuit. He was right - there is so much to pay attention to that you don't need or want the extra hassle of adding or dumping air. The week after I took the course someone else on SB took it and failed, citing numerous problems and failures with their drysuit. I am sure that cave diving in a drysuit is great - I just don't think that doing an intro level cave course in a drysuit will help you.

I have a DUI TLS 350 Signature Series - custom cut to my size.

Not to derail this discussion but can I wear non-scuba undergarments? I have my old Army thinsulate long johns that are the warmest I've ever worn. Will these work?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom