Question Choose Camera Balance of Three Ease of Use, Cost, Quality for Macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think Backscatter east is in New York city, it is in Derry New Hampshire. B&H has some UW stuff though.
BVA
Yeah, Backscatter East is a support office, not a showroom

For a 16 x 20 print (inches, mm on request) you need something like 7200 x 5760 (41 MP more or less) to print at 360 DPI native. That being said, all the new software will up-res almost perfectly. For the OM-1 this means about a 30% up resolution.
Bill

For a 16 x 20 print (inches, mm on request) you need something like 7200 x 5760 (41 MP more or less) to print at 360 DPI native. That being said, all the new software will up-res almost perfectly. For the OM-1 this means about a 30% up resolution.
Bill
I have very successfully upscaled an OM image to 36x48 inches. Used Topaz Gigapixel.

I've never seen a huge print from a TG; have you? That seems to be a concern.

What is huge? I do large prints for my guest house walls. I also make calenders with my photo's.

Thank you for hints about my budget. I can save more$ and pay more, I’m just afraid of dropping an expensive rig. (Chicken)
So paying more to get blasts of color and clarity is worth it.

This is my setup. DIY tray. I was very lucky to get my TG6 with lots of accessories new for US$500. The lights ( Big BLue VL4200P ) new I forget the price. They are video lights but you can buy video lights that can be switched to flash mode.

To get blasts of colour you need either very good natural lighting or lights. I use video lights not strobes.

The TG6 has a very good white balance feature. Bring along a white slate and you can reset the white balance in a matter of seconds.

I use it for close up and macro and sometimes longer distance shots. I have my old Hero4 mounted in the dry port. Sometimes I may use that for video while I take photos with the TG6.

I do not wear gloves but the housing has large buttons.

A thread for you to look at.

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

How to setup and capture white balance underwater

Best value for your is probably a TG6/7 with the Backscatter Miniflash 2 (including snoot attachment, if affordable). Get very close and creative with the lighting.

The snaps right off a TG6 look great due to quite heavy and good internal processing to yield attractive .JPGs. It is the quickest way to great results and prints, even if you will notice some limitations in the fine grained parameters vs bigger rigs.

The 'circle of confusion' for the human eye (detail detection limit) means it doesn't actually take that much megapixels or DPI for something to look good on a wall.

BTW we are talking about flashes, and not strobes, a strobe is something that flashes repeatedly on a specific, programmed frequency, for specific reasons. I guess people just thought 'strobe' sounded cooler, even if incorrect.

This video is a Lumix DMC-LX10:

Future inspiration for MFT format:

Is there such thing as setting up camera on sea floor, then backing away so fish will come close to camera, then remotely triggering the photo?
I had set up the go pro to video, dribbled crumbs in front of it, and backed off to get fish video, but quality of screenshots was unsatisfactory.

With the TG6 you can use the free Olympus Workspace software. All video is are photos at a frame rate. SO you can capture an image and edit it from video.

I often set my tray down and let the video do it's thing. I back away so the critters do their own thing. The Go Pro can be set to take photo's every few seconds in video mode but the TG6 cannot.

Hand held super macro is rather tricky but you can get very good video and photos which the Go Pro cannot do.

Back
Top Bottom