Choices, making them for others.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nomaster

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking for some calm and sane response here, like UP and others are very capable of and capable at.
On the subject of "safer" Solo diving in the thread mentioned below, I was looking for some well thought out feedback on a couple of the issues that I touched on. The two I think I am primarily concerned with are safety in Solo diving, and the danger of choosing to think, in an unproductive manner, for our fellow divers. My personal prejudice is that it's always unproductive to think for someone, but thinking with someone is an entirely different matter.
I attempted a response that brought up the factor of increased saftey through the acceptance of people's dive choices on the thread about DIR wars. It was my first time in such a discussion so , I was (and am) still pretty naive. After reading much more, I am still confused that after another thirty pages, my statement/question was completely ignored.
Solo diving is a fact, it can be made better by embracing it or we can start flame wars by calling names back and forth with those who chose to think for their neighbor, not in a problem solving way, but in a problem avoiding way.
Maybe the posting was ignored because it broached a current sore political subject, but in my mind that subject has a long history and the new epidemic is really just a continuation of the old one which was only fought about and not calmly considered at length (Which discussion does not belong on Scubaboard; but neither avoided when considering the choices we make.).

"...
But I am left with a bit of a bad taste by things that were said that seemed not to be well thought out, some of these things made me feel that there are divers out there who are willing to make choices that I am not.
We have a problem in the US with a great many people who are willing to give up individuality and freedom for safety. I think many of those same people really want to give up responsibility for their own actions, that I didn't detect here, but there is danger of that down the road if we don't ask what all we're giving up each time we make a choice for safety over some individual choice.
Maybe that statement will be clearer with a vague reference.
If a person makes a personal, individual choice to do something we consider unsafe, if that person is prepared and continues to prepare to the best of their knowledge and equipment for these choices, and makes this choice of calculated risk, we do great danger to ourselves to say that this person is absolutely wrong and must join our herd or remain forever wrong. When we choose to take this person's right to take a calculated risk we endanger our individual rights down the road as well. So, I think better would be to include this person, who make what we consider unsafe choices, and include them in our search for safer diving..."

I can retrieve the entire response, or you can find it on about page 30 to 33, I think of the thread in general dive discussion.

Tom

PS. I would like feedback on this please, if the subject belongs in it's own thread okay. I'm just concerned that if we make a thread for every parse of a thought that opinion and consideration will become too dilute to be effective.

Scuba:
If you have not read the thread which led to the creation of this forum, take a look at:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t65290-should-there-be-a-solo-diving-discussion-section-on-this-forum.html
Thanks a million for the link; all my questions answered, once again I was attempting to reinvent the wheel. And from, so far, reading only the first and last page, it is already a much better wheel than I imagined.
I'll read further and seek answers to the questions I began to pose, now that I know why the post seemed to be ignored.

Scuba:
If you have not read the thread which led to the creation of this forum, take a look at:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t65290-should-there-be-a-solo-diving-discussion-section-on-this-forum.html
Nomaster, I am new to this site but I have already been attacked in the Hogarthian forum for promoting--shhhh--minimalist approaches to diving. I thought, innocently, that the ultimate expression of minimal diving is Solo diving. Instead, I was accused of being macho and etc. I certainly did not intend it that way. I am beginning to see that people talk about minimal diving from an equipment intensive vantage point. People who actually attempt to achive minimal eqiupment and ultimately minimal buddy dependency are not PC. This is unfortunate because I actualy was trying to learn and bounce ideas both ways.
I have dived solo off and on for many years. I also enjoy with my wife or buddies as well. It really just depends on the time and place. I do not think solo diving is a form of technical diving like caving or wreck or extreme depth etc. I consider it routine. A solo diver is an advanced diver by definition and must have advanced water skills, confidence prejudiced with wisdom and experience and yes, decent, if minimal equipment for that dive profile. For example, when I buddy dive I do have an octapus etc. When I solo dive I do not. I have had more trouble with octa units than without and prefer to skip them for solo. I only intend this example to show that there is no ONE way of doing every type of diving. Thanks for providing this site. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom