Choices Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good grief - there is now a 6G compactflash card to be released shortly by Pretec (can you tell I'm bored right now?). It's priced at a perfectly reasonable $7500.

Dave

Ruu said...
Zept - How long was your DM course? If I do the divemaster course I figure I will spend at least 3 months, probably more somewhere with good diving (I would probably stick around for a while after the course).

My DM course took about six weeks. It was possible for me to do it reasonably quickly b/c I work part-time for a dive company, so I was able to schedule the practical sessions myself. Also, I had plenty of time to do the required study.

I don't ever see myself carrying the camera while DMing, it's too much of a distraction. Six months ago I was debating whether to do the DM course or buy the camera (cost was about the same) and went with the camera. Not quite sure how I have ended up doing the course as well when it was supposed to be one or the other!

Zept

Zept once bubbled...

I don't ever see myself carrying the camera while DMing, it's too much of a distraction. Six months ago I was debating whether to do the DM course or buy the camera (cost was about the same) and went with the camera. Not quite sure how I have ended up doing the course as well when it was supposed to be one or the other!

Zept

I agree about not taking pictures and being a DM at the same time - if my DM did that on a dive it would definitely be a little unsettling (and probably against a whole bunch of rules I would imagine). I didn't intend on doing it for a living - I figured I would go out, take the course and then hang out taking pictures for a while. The recent job has been pretty good money-wise, and I figure that I will only be this young once..

Dave

Ruu once bubbled...
Hmm...

I didn't realise that there were two types of compactflash. The A70 only takes type I (only the S range seem to take both I and II), which means it's limited to 512MB (I think - can anyone confirm this?)

I've seen Type I cards up to 2G. It looks like the Type II form factor is used only on cards bigger than this.

But just wait a month or two - I'm sure this will change. :)

Marc

Ruu once bubbled...
Good grief - there is now a 6G compactflash card to be released shortly by Pretec (can you tell I'm bored right now?). It's priced at a perfectly reasonable $7500.

Dave

Now we only need a 4000 mAh Ni-MH battery and I won't need to open my housing for the whole dive trip :)

Zept once bubbled...
I have a Sony camera, since that's what everyone else uses here... sounds like a stupid reason, but it is convenient being able to share chargers and other accessories. Plus I already had a Sony laptop with a Memory Stick slot. I like the size and shape of my P9, but I do think the Olympus C-series cameras have better lenses (bigger, brighter, sharper).

Zept

how do you figure that out?

in the survey there were more Olympus users than any of the other users!

I said, "I have a Sony camera, since that's what everyone else uses here..."

Then clive francis said...

how do you figure that out?

in the survey there were more Olympus users than any of the other users!

Sorry Clive, that was 'here' as in 'here in my little corner of the world', not 'here' as in 'here on Scubaboard'.

I have dived with at least five other people who have Sony P-series cameras, so I followed the crowd.

Zept

WooHoo - Fight!!

I say we put you all in a ring and see whether the Sony functions better than the Olympus as a weapon...

Dave

Ruu once bubbled...
WooHoo - Fight!!

I say we put you all in a ring and see whether the Sony functions better than the Olympus as a weapon...

Dave

Would that be a Digital Shootout?!? :D :D

Sorry to say that but I kind-of did start this fight. The Sony would lose as a weapon in that it's to small and light and would not pack much of a wallop. If you meant by features and picture quality I think it might lose there too.

I've thought long and hard about Dee's comments and I have to agree with both. The focus and depth of field of the Sony lens is not as good as I would like. Most of this seems to come from the size of the lens and may be expected. The color balnace is another matter, I don't know why it seems to shift to green. Drives me crazy, one good thing about this problem is that it is correctable in Photo Shop, the focusing is not.

My plan on the depth of field problem is to bracket the distance to the subject. I've actually seen some pictures where I got to close and needed to back off (newbies out there ignore this).

None of this means that I still think it's a great camera that I'm happy I brought. It's like in he Meg Ryan getting a pimple.

Back
Top Bottom