Choice of fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,
I have enrolled in a scuba class and am scheduled to participate in a beach skin dive in 2 days. I have the choice of buying three different types of fins and i was wondering which ones were overall the best for me.
Sherwood Spinta fins
Aqua lung blades II
Aqua lung Rocket fins
i will be using from the pacific ocean to tropical oceans.
i am about 5'6", but still have much growing to do.
I have heard that the rocket fins are simple, but really strong for currents,
and that the blades II and Spinta are energy saving.
thanks,

I own the Rockets and the Blades. Totally different fit and feel. I use the Rockets mostly because they are short bladed and stiff. They allow me to maneuver with a single kick in close spaces.

For open areas and reef swimming the Blades are great. Long smooth kicks, less effort.

Try all three in the water then decide. Only you can decide which are the "best" fins, everyone is different.

Ive done a lot of reasherch and it seems to me like i should spend a little extra money and go for the apallo bio-fin pros because they are rated so highly, does anyone have any outweighing disadvanteges to getting the appollos over a paddle of jet fin or even another split fin.

You'll find many of us (myself included) started with other fins and wound up with the less expensive Jet fins or clones (Like Rockets)

Make sure you learn a finning style that is appropriate for whichever fin you end up with (Splits and paddles are very different designs)

Aloha, Tim

thanks for all the replies,
i have some money to spend, so i have narrowed it down to these fins.
Scuba pro twin jets
Apollo bio-fin
or
apollo bio-fin xts
does anyone have any furthur opinons amoung these three fins.

I was ready to order some Apollo Bio Fins but after reading so many discussions on Scuba Board I've decided to wait. It looks like the general consensus is they are the best of the split fins but I want to do underwater videography in the future and a lot of people seemed to feel paddle fins were better for precision control.

In particular, a lot of people kept talking about their 'turtles' and I'm not sure what they mean by that. I looked on scuba toys.com/diver's direct/scuba.com...I don't see any fins named 'turtles'. Is this a generic term? Sorry, but I'm still a newbie....can someone explain it to me?

I mostly dive in warm tropical waters.

Lampostman:
thanks for all the replies,
i have some money to spend, so i have narrowed it down to these fins.
Scuba pro twin jets
Apollo bio-fin
or
apollo bio-fin xts
does anyone have any furthur opinons amoung these three fins.

How do you know you want split fins for sure? Have you tried splits in the water? Again, I'd strongly recommend that you try them all in the water before you purchase anything.

Had I gone with the recommendation of others in my area, I'd have bought Apollo Bio-fins. Fortunately, I tried them (and 3 other split designs) in the water first and quickly realized that splits are terrible fins for me. The best I can gather is that my competitive swim kicking style is all wrong for them, causing them to feel floppy and giving me no control or power. Then I tried about 5 different types of paddle fins, finally ending up super happy with a pair of Jets, which was against every single one of my LDS's recommendations.

You'll be so much happier if you try before you buy rather than listening to what other people recommend.

I have been diving Blades for a few years, but I have Scubapro Jet fins that I have been diving for a while. Both are good fins, like DivenMaven said, try them. The best gear is the gear that fits well. If it is not comfortable, it won't get worn!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom