Choice for secondary camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am still using my trusty Olympus C5050 camera for all my main work, and it still performs like a champ. But, with it's Ikelite housing and dual Ikelite D125 strobes on their long arms, small and compact it is not. I have noticed a problem with getting up close for those macro shots with this rig, especially with trying to avoid bumping into coral structures and such, and got to thinking that a second, small camera in a compact housing would be just the ticket for this kind of stuff. I could leave it clipped to my BC and out of the way between uses, or even squirrel it away in a BC pocket (if it fits...) I have seen some of you guys do incredible work with just a compact camera and no additional strobe, and was wondering if anyone else had tried this dodge and how well it worked for them. Any ideas? Thanks for your input. Woody

You know as a DSLR owner the thought occurred to me to carry one just as a macro setup. I'd be interested in what you find. I was thinking really small, small enough to put into a BC pocket. Sealife or Sea&Sea?

really love my backup DC500..Cheddarguy used it on the Curacao trip and took some great Pix

Hi:

My DSLR rig is a Nikon, Subal Housing, twin Ikelite 125's. I have not had a problem with macro photography (60 mm with 2x diopter for tight shots), but I carry a point and shoot credit card size Casio in an underwater housing as a second camera.

The problems I have had with the DSLR rig are things like shooting around corners in tight spaces (Galapagos last June in a cave with white tipped reef sharks). Also, the point and shoot takes video, which is fun to intersperse into trip "slide" shows. It fits into a BCD pocket, so no problem to take along.

Hope this helps,

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom