Chiropractor Visits and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avatar, this is a forum line for understanding whether a chiropractic adjustment would be contraindicated either before or after a dive. This is NOT a forum for harrassing chiropractors with unfounded rhetoric...

If a chiropractor can get my patients off narcotics, they are not quacks.

Only when they try to do prenatal visit and discourages a child with a sorethroat from seeing an MD, that's when they commit malpractice.

I think most chiropractors and their patients do not see the discipline as quackery.

I have gone in with a crick in my neck and muscle spasms so bad I could barely drive and gotten immediate relief after an adjustment...

I have probably had 50 adjustments in my life....it can get addictive though. My x-husband (surgeon) says that he thinks my neck was going out because I was getting too many adjustments. So, now I just go if it is really bad. A chiropracter showed me a great exercise to strengthen some tiny muscle near the atlas and I have been great for about three years since doing this.....

I think DO's are just like MD's...most good, some quacks. I would not go to them for asthma or medical problems, personally.

If they do those full body x-rays with massive amounts of radiation...run for the hills.

Ouch!! First we badmouth the DC's, next the DO's... Who's next? Let's be civil ... It's only scubadiving...

Hey DocVikingo,

I need a dive buddy in a couple of weeks, why don't you join me?

melissassm:
I've been seeing a chiropractor 2 or 3 times a week for a few weeks for back and neck adjustments for pain I've been having, and I was wondering if I should avoid seeing him on dive days and/or days before or after dives?

Would it kind of follow the same guidelines as exerciseing before & after dives?

Thanks!

melissassm, talk to your chiro and get his thoughts. I have had back problems for about 20 years and when I took up diving I discussed it with mine. He himself was a diver and understood what is involved and the stresses on the back. He had no problem with me diving.

I used to have a twisted back as one of my lower disks is only at 40%. I know and feel your pain. I could barely walk at one point. My back is doing pretty good right now and only see the chiro once a month for prevenative treatment. Most of the time now, no adjustments have to be made.

For the rest, I have found that there are good and bad people in all fields of the "medical" practice and pros and cons for each area. So I will let you guys and gals can carry on your arguement about the pros and cons of chiros, I'm going diving.

ScubaScottland:
Hey DocVikingo,

I need a dive buddy in a couple of weeks, why don't you join me?

Hi ScubaScottland,

I'm always up for a dive--PM me with details.

Thanks,

DocVikingo

You are not stirring things up.... I think we all forget that all doctors, dentists, and chiropractors carries malpractice insurance.

Good chiros would know not to massage or manipulate some one with history of coronary artery diseases or previous strokes.

I find it in bad taste to bad mouth a profession... When you assume that others are "bad", you lose my respect.

Just because I hold an MD, I do not pass judgement on DPMs, DOs, or DCs...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom