Chilean teen survives two days in a submerged cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero

Will be missed
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
For those who read Spanish, here is a link. For those whose languages do not include Spanish, my summary:

Fifteen-year-old Johana Cardenas Constanza was standing on a rock taking photographs at the seashore near the port city of Talcahuano, Chile, 530 kilometers south of Santiago, when she slipped and fell into the ocean. Navy divers, fishermen, friends and family spent the next two days searching for her. Accepting that their daughter had died, the family held a memorial service in her honor while divers continued searching for the corpse. Two navy divers entered a cave about 80 meters long and were surprised to find the girl standing at the rear of it. The divers asked her if she was the girl who had fallen from the rocks; she replied that she was and asked for their help. She had been drawn into the cave by the force of the water, and taking her back out was difficult since the water rushes through a bottleneck with great force. Johana suffered only minor injuries.

Kudos to those divers! And that's one lucky girl.

That is a magical end to what would otherwise be a very sad story. Thanks for sharing :)

z...

Wow! I would have loved to see the families faces when they heard the good news.

That is just amazing !! Good job Navy !!

Boy that must have been very cold! I wonder did they have any decompression obligation? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom