Chile... Dive or Not to Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BikerManiac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody have any opinions about diving in Chile?? I have to go there so was thinking about bringing my gear. I am heading there in Winter time, so I guess all the dive sites are in the North.

Thanks

Just my two cents worth but I've always been interested in diving the kelp forests of Chile. But then I'm a kelp forest ecologist!

Hi Biker,

I dove central and north Chile some years ago and there was kelp in both regions, although the water temps and scuba infrastructure were more hospitable up north. By all means take your gear.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Thanks once I get there I will do research. I dont think I will bring my gear as I am only planning on diving there maybe 1-2 times. I bet the water is like in the East Coast of New York. Cold and Murky...

Kelp?? what are kelps??
Kelps are large brown seaweeds or algae (Class Phaeophyceae) which belong to the Order Laminariales. The Order Laminariales is characterised by individuals with a hetermorphic alternation of generations, comprising 2 free-living life phases (a macroscopic sporophyte generation and a microscopic gametophyte generations. The sporophytes are typically differentiated into a holdfast, stipe and one or more blades.

Sounds Interesting...

Excellent reading about diving in Chile
http://www.mardechile.cl/index.php?option=news&task=viewarticle&sid=2360&Itemid=2

Diving...screw that. Spearfishing for pelagics in the Pacific is awesome. Yes the water is a little cold but the fish can be huge. I have done a lot of spearfishing in Southern Peru and have heard Chile is the same.

~Marlinspike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom