Children die playing with scuba gear left in pool - Jensen Beach, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was a depressing thread to read.

I have definitely stashed remnant or leftover 100% helium or other very hypoxic mix in an al80 or another cylinder with the intent of remixing it into something useful later. My own personal protocol is to use a DIN plug in that tank and put a special bit of painter's tape around the plug so the tank is especially unique. That is in addition to having the contents written on the crown. I don't have children around my garage or mixing station, nor do I have a pool.

A reminder, for me, to breath each (breathable) tank on land predive as I get gas at places with helium and argon.

This is heartbreaking. My condolences and prayers for the family and friends.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

there are special rules for the A&I forum. They are here. Special Rules Please read them. There are reasons for the forum and reasons for the special rules. We hope you agree with the importance of both.

I haven't heard anyone chastise any of the adults for allowing the littles to dive in the pool, the hangup seems to be not knowing what gas they were using.

I agree not knowing the gas was a grave oversight, but I'm also not a fan of letting children use a pool unsupervised, regardless of their skill in the water.

Grab ass and horseplay happen as well as accidents, and I don't have faith in the ability of children to restrain themselves or respond to an emergency properly. I've seen it happen, so I guess that gives me a skewed bias. Granted I have been called a dick for bringing it to the attention of "responsible" adults having a good time, and they may be right.

I agree not knowing the gas was a grave oversight, but I'm also not a fan of letting children use a pool unsupervised, regardless of their skill in the water.

Grab ass and horseplay happen as well as accidents, and I don't have faith in the ability of children to restrain themselves or respond to an emergency properly. I've seen it happen, so I guess that gives me a skewed bias. Granted I have been called a dick for bringing it to the attention of "responsible" adults having a good time, and they may be right.

Agree 100%, this is one reason I object to having a pool in a house where children are present.

So yes, it would be very advantageous now to all interested parties, given that we seem to now know with a very high degree of probability / certainty, that it was pure helium breathed by the children, if some medicos knowledgeable in that field would step in and clarify the issue / possible complications from breathing pure helium.

This is difficult to write, I have kids around that age. Breathing pure helium causes the oxygen in the bloodstream to rapidly diffuse into the lungs, which leads to immediate hypoxemia and rapid loss of consciousness.

[MOD CHANGED/]
CuzzA and Roz's posts have been moved to Good Causes, which is the proper place for discussion of GoFundMe set up the Siblings of the grieving parents.

Condolences should be given under Passing built we realize that can be tuvvģģeŕ

This is difficult to write, I have kids around that age. Breathing pure helium causes the oxygen in the bloodstream to rapidly diffuse into the lungs, which leads to immediate hypoxemia and rapid loss of consciousness.
Thanks for that DDM, but is there any truth to the story that it is very difficult to revive someone who has breathed pure, i.e 100% helium? As although thats what I was told 'back in the day', the only incident I have first hand knlowledge of suggests it is not (hard to revive them).

"Back in the day" when the use of helium was first introduced to what is now called technical diving by the recreational diving community we had a lot of suspicions and anecdotes about mix, similar to the furor that surrounded nitrox when it was introduced to sport diving. I can recall as late as early 2000's that I was still teaching to use as little helium as possible and switch off it as soon as possible. Today our understanding, although far from perfect, is much better and opinions regarding the use of helium mixtures in diving have made a complete 180. Now the saying for the use of helium in breathing gas goes something like "helium is your friend and more helium is friendlier." So much so that the use of hyperoxic helium mixes are available as sport diving classes offered by the training agencies. I routinely use normoxic trimix (i.e. 21% O2, 35% He) for all my sport diving. Commercial and military divers have been using ultra rich heliox for decades. There are no physiological issues breathing any amount of helium in a mix as long as the PPO2 is appropriate.

Interesting answer for those with little knowldege of helium based breathing mixes, but with all due respect, nothing to do with my question (with regards complications - besides the obvious - from breathing pure, i.e 100%, helium).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom