Chicken Vest or Beanie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Revid1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Diving in the Caribbean, but get cold on the second dive. What are the pros and cons of each? I am in the process of chosing a 3mm wetsuit. So, a recommended combination of a vest and suit would be appreciated. Or, will the beanie be enough with March diving in the Caribbean? Thanks.

I was there in late feb (cozumel ) we were in 3mm temp was 79-80 we found that it was a bit cool on the second dive. we are from a cool climate and are usual tolerant to cool temps , we are going to fiji in april which has very simular temps and the first thing we bought when we got back from coz was a 2.5 ml vest. we plan to dive 4-5 dives/ day and from experience we know we will be getting pretty cool by the end of the day. we like our 3mm for tropical diving , but if you stand the extra weight maybe a 5mm might be what you want . i think the zipper on the front of the vest might be troublsome especially if you have a tight suit. i have a full 2mm hood which i enjoy very much however i find sometime late in the days it makes equalizing a bit tougher , a beenie negates that problem.i would imagine the beenie would not be as warm
where are you going ?
Food For Thought hope it helps

You lose about 70% of your heat through your head (high blood flow to the brain) so covering it is going to help more, and you can always let some water in if you get too warm. A vented hood is nice as you'll pump air into it if you clear your mask

I'm not sure what a chicken vest is though, hooded vest?

Thanks for sharing the link

Seems to me though that if you're already wearing a wetsuit on your body, then covering your naked head is going to help more than adding additonal coverage to your core

Several of the statements in that link would seem to me to confirm that covering your head is worthwhile

Personally I'd be happy with a 3mm steamer in 80F water, but people are different

I have a 2.5mm Scubapro hooded vest that works wonders. Depending on conditions, I don't put the hood over my head. When not worn, the hood is unobtrusive. Last year in Roatan I dived my SP 3mm Everflex Steamer in the 78F water. I didn't really notice getting chilled on the second dive until about the third day. From that point forward I donned the vest and it was exactly what I didn't know I needed. Much better.

Here's a link to the vest on SP's website

Appreciate the replies. I am going to Belize for a week, and even though the water is warm; by the end of the second dive I do get chilled. Thanks for the link! Good thoughts on getting something that is vented.

Thanks for sharing the link

Seems to me though that if you're already wearing a wetsuit on your body, then covering your naked head is going to help more than adding additonal coverage to your core

Several of the statements in that link would seem to me to confirm that covering your head is worthwhile

Personally I'd be happy with a 3mm steamer in 80F water, but people are different

My pleasure. I was thinking about the physics of heat loss the other day and whether the head actually lost that much heat. When I used to teach 3 classes a day in 70F water I'd start the day in a 5mm. After a good lunch I would put on a hood. For night dives I would sometimes wear a drysuit, or wear my second (dry) wetsuit with hood just to keep core heat. I would have really appreciated 80F water in those days! :D

Cheers,

X

When diving in so called "warm water" I always take along my 3mm chicken vest for use on the 2nd dive of the day on multidive trips. I find that it makes me much more comfortable and I prefer not to wear a hood because its more restrictive and somewhat claustrophobic.

And Mr. X - thanks for posting the link. Very interesting considering in OW training you are taught that the major heat loss is from your head!

In addition to a hood might want to consider neoprene gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom