Chicago - Straits of Mackinaw Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brrrr.
sould be 74 at surface, 62 or so above the 70 ft thermo. 55 or so down around the 100 mark and 50 ish on the deeper wrecks. Just perfect for dry suit weather.

Hi... I'm scheduled to dive this wreck in a couple weeks. I'm newly certified AOW ( under 20 dives in total) and reasonably comfortable in the water. This will be my first Lake Michigan dive. Just looking for some advice on the dive relative to my experience. Assuming each of you have more experience than me, is this dive too much for a relative noob?

Actually temps are in the low 70s down to 60 feet on the mac and the same on the Wisconsin all the way to the bottom. Hard to imagine LM diving and no thermocline.. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Just be ready for some colder water. These areas can change water temps from one weekend to the next. Wind change, currents etc. I have been on the Mac and they are telling us how warm the water is. So this newbie diver and my dive buddie for the day thinks he does not need a hood or gloves. I ? his choice but this did not change his plan. So we get to the wreck and he gives me the signal that he is going back to the surface. For me, a solo dive on the Mac.

Thanks Parsons... I have a 4/5 wetsuit and a 5 mil zippered step in with a built-in hood so hopefully that combo will keep me warm enough to get through the dive. Based on the info I found on the depth of the dive site, I figure my no deco bottom time to be 25 mins so only planning a general survey of the wreck w/o going inside.

Sounds like a plan. If you are getting to warm. Twik your gear on your second dive. There are plenty of holes into the deck for ambiant light to look into. Have a Great, Great Lake Dive.
Thanks Parsons... I have a 4/5 wetsuit and a 5 mil zippered step in with a built-in hood so hopefully that combo will keep me warm enough to get through the dive. Based on the info I found on the depth of the dive site, I figure my no deco bottom time to be 25 mins so only planning a general survey of the wreck w/o going inside.

Back
Top Bottom