Chest strap. Dump valve.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pinaymermaid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello!
I am a fairly inexperienced diver. I am a scuba diver from the Philippines and has always been diving here, going to the same dive shops for the last three years. Then I went to a new dive operator last month. The things I noticed about the BCD was that it has only one dump valve, and has no chest strap. Is that okay?
(I always rent bcd and reg.)

Thanks.

Single dump valve, and no pull dump on he shoulder inflator. And no chest strap. Simple, pared down, fewer points of failure. Works just fine.

what he said. it all depends on how the harness is designed regarding the chest strap, and the single dump valve is the "normal" for all of the backplate and wings, sidemount rigs, etc. so you're not going to be missing anything

Some of the less expensive jackets targeted at the rental fleet market only come with one rear dump. Some have a 2nd dump integrated into the inflator hose mount at the shoulder - some don't. A Genesis Drift is an example of this. Mares makes one also IIRC.

My DR wing came with an remoted shoulder dump valve and I immediately replaced it with an plain elbow. One less failure point to worry about.

do you connect your chest trap?
do you need to connect your chest strap?

over the years i have had lots of back packs that came with chest straps. i never, ever used them.

For my BC, the answers were Yes and No. My BC no longer has a chest strap (i cut it off, along with a bunch of other useless stuff).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom