Chest infection after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissCassidy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is it possible to catch a chest infection after diving? My husband and I went for our certification dives two weeks ago, and within 48 hours after our final dive we both came down with a severe bacterial chest infection. The doctors treated us with antibiotics, but I'm wondering if there is any correlation to the dives and this illness?

FYI our dive tanks were rented, and the dive shop has filters on their air compressors. However we both use a type of regulator by Sherwood called Oasis, which has metal "wings" that collect water vapor to help moisten the air coming in from the tank.

Has anyone else encountered a similar situation?

Is it possible to catch a chest infection after diving? My husband and I went for our certification dives two weeks ago, and within 48 hours after our final dive we both came down with a severe bacterial chest infection. The doctors treated us with antibiotics, but I'm wondering if there is any correlation to the dives and this illness?

FYI our dive tanks were rented, and the dive shop has filters on their air compressors. However we both use a type of regulator by Sherwood called Oasis, which has metal "wings" that collect water vapor to help moisten the air coming in from the tank.

I've never heard of anybody getting an infection from a rental regulator, however me not hearing about it certainly doesn't mean it can't happen. I've seen some regs where the inside was so disgusting that that not only wouldn't I breathe from it, I'd wash my hands after touching it.

Most rental regs don't get much more than a rinse after use, which is one reason I always bring my own equipment.

flots.

Sorry, I just noticed that the tanks were rentals (and the regs were not?).

If the tanks were rentals, it's entirely possible they're contaminated with seawater, and you can get all sorts of nasty things from inhaling seawater.

Another possibility is lipoid pneumonia, which you can get from inhaling air that contains compressor oil from a poorly maintained compressor.

Note that I'm not a doctor and I didn't stay at a Holiday inn last night.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom