Trip Report Chesapeake Bay Oyster Dive 01/08/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you had fun! The milk crate is a Dave thing basically, not so much regional. I have to admit, or works pretty well. Generally it's BYO goodie bag to collect, but Dave usually has some extra crates rigged with a handle and lift-bag.

I said it 1/2 jokingly because in another thread I was jazzed a little for suggesting you bring a milk crate on board for gear (which is how it's done in NJ)...and then I show up at the oyster dive, and low and behold....more milk crates!! Lol...made my day.

This sounds like a blast.

Moving to Manassas in June for a year…I’ll pack my dive kit.

This sounds like a blast.

Moving to Manassas in June for a year…I’ll pack my dive kit.

It is a good time... let me know when you want to go and we can get one in! I think the season starts in October when the water is perfect... I'll have to double check on that. I know they want the water a little colder because of the bacteria?

He'll keep the boat in the water as long as people want to keep diving.. the other guy that does it usually shuts down in Jan.

Just wanted to say it's that time of year again. Went on my 1st trip of the season with a guy named Charlie off of Kent Island. Viz was an unbelievable 10-12' which is amazing for the bay. I've never seen it like that (in my very limited ~ 12 dives in the bay, lol). It's usually 2-3'...4' on a great day. It was so clear I actually didn't do any "oystering" for the 1st 15-20 min, just went around checkin things out.... little fish, horsehoe crabs, blue crabs.... some type of anemone it looked like (very small), and sea "nettles"? They looked like jellyfish to me but I was quickly corrected by one of the superior divers on the boat..... What's that joke?... how do you know who's an instructor on a boat.... don't worry, they'll tell you! Well he did not disapoint, LOL. Also was nice enough to ask me if I had my solo card for the 10' of diving in the bay with absolutley zero current in a set of doubles (because I'm lazy and hate changing back and forth). Instructor... never been to anything other than quarries with students or vacation dive spots. Blows my mind, but what do I know. God bless him though, I guess we need divers like that too.

Met at the dock @ 6am, out by 6:45 and back @ 10:30. This trip was a painful $100 pp, up $10 from last year. Captain Charlie will count each and every oyster and per MD law you get 100 pp. I say painful just because I'm cheap... he's a good captain (at least it seemed) and deserves it. I'kk do it again, just not as often if it was less.... but I figure $60 for some larger rather tastey oysters (which is what I would pay for 100ct locally) and $40 for a fun boat ride to go play in the bay for a bit and do something different.

Oysters were spectacular... I believe a good bit saltier than the ones I dive for out of Annapolis which is interesting because it's only about 2 miles south, but about 12 miles East of where I go there. I wouldn't have thought the flavor would have been that different... maybe it's weather / current / Idk.. need to get over to Annapolis to investigate:) It could be because Eastern Bay is kind of secluded compared to the main part of the bay.

The one downside is that Mr. Charlie doesn't cook / steam / etc when we get back to port like the other charter out of Annapolis does. That charter has more of a "party boat" feel where as this one is more serious. Both have pros and cons. Both worth doing at least once or twice to see what suits you.

Water was a warm 57F, we were 10-12' deep, folks still on the boat said they could see us on the bottom that's how great it was.

Charlie is a great captain for oyster diving. Knows where to go, and Eastern Bay sites have alway been better in my experience that the Annapolis area sites.

Charlie used to steam up a pot while we were still out on the water, but hasn't in a few years - not sure if that's due to rules or something else. Assume you were with Dave? I'm supposed to be on the trip on the 29th assuming weather hold out.

Charlie is a great captain for oyster diving. Knows where to go, and Eastern Bay sites have alway been better in my experience that the Annapolis area sites.

Charlie used to steam up a pot while we were still out on the water, but hasn't in a few years - not sure if that's due to rules or something else. Assume you were with Dave? I'm supposed to be on the trip on the 29th assuming weather hold out.

Always with Dave, lol.. he's a great guy. Charlie was great also (1st time meeting him). Mr. Dave said he used to steam some... I might bring my 44ct steamer next time and see if he wants to do it again. I really like that about Ray's boat. On Charlie's boat the oysters are better (I think), the viz is way better, and there's no current. It was nice that there was just oysters everywhere. On Ray's boat I like the "party" and eating / food provided (and the lower cost), not to menation with the current it is a bit of an adventure. Not for the faint of heart I don't think. It is kind of a downer when it's harder to find oysters but I have yet to leave with an empty cooler.... just takes longer.

My next trip will be on Charlie's on 11/12.. hoping to take the kids. I would like to get on other trips before that but I just have too much going on.

Good day all... everyone seems to be nice enough to enlighten me with their trip reports around the world so I try to give back when I can.

We left out of Annapolis with "Gone Fishin' Charters" and Captain Ray.
(sorry, it's a FB link; Gone Fishin' Charters)

Arrived at the dock at 6:30ish or so. Left at sunrise around 7:15. Then it's about a 25-30 min boat ride out the the oyster beds. This is my 2nd time going. It's a different kind of diving. I can't stress enough that no matter how I explain this everyone thinks it's just nuts, but I promise it's a good time. It was 17f when we arrived at dock, but it did warm up to 25f or so. Water was nice and warm (compared to the outside temp😄😄) @ 41f.

The boat is completely closed in (as you can see). Plenty of room. Very warm on board. The captain likes it almost too warm, so he has 2 heaters running. Gearing up I actually got too hot and had to stand at the back for a little bit to cool down. And I'll be the 1st to admit I'm a wimp with the cold. During both of my oyster trips I was the only one diving dry... the others were wearing 7mm🥶....damn polar bears.

You buddy up (or solo if you've done it before) and each buddy grabs the side of a milk crate (milk crates must be a regional thing, lol). Then you dive. You drop down about 15'-20' and the milk crate hitting the bottom is about the only way to know you're close. Viz is about 3', but was 4'-5' last time I did it. I've been told it can get as bad as 6". You keep one hand on the crate at all times and search for oysters. After a bit you get into a rhythm with your partner... lift, move, drop, search, repeat. Even when I read this out loud it's sounds stupid.... but it's soooo much fun. The moving around, fighting into the current, and having a goal under water makes time fly and kept me pretty toasty. I didn't feel cold at all and to date 41f is one of my coldest dives. Getting back on the boat I was actually warm enough to do a 3rd dive, but by then it was time to go.

Total dive time was 69 min @ a max depth of 18' (last time I hit 22'). 1 HP 100, but bringing 2 is suggested. My 1st oyster dive I needed 2, this time I just stuck with one tank and about sucked the life out of her by the end.

Same ~ 25 min ride back, just like any other boat.. get gear put away.. eat some oysters if you want. Once back at the pier we unload all our gear while the mate cleans the boat (takes him ~ 10 min) then they fire up the grill which is about 15' from the boat on the pier. We sit there and eat oysters until you're content.. I think all said and done we spend about an hr back at the pier. Adult beverages are shared but if you plan to drink they ask you bring some to share. Some food is provided on the boat... this time was Maryland crab soup and chicken wings... all was amazing.

This time I took my wife and all our kids (except one, he had previous commitments). So of the 5 of us 2 stayed on the boat, 1 tried diving and said it was too cold (he really didn't give it a chance but I stick by the rule of "you can end a dive at any time for any reason"... I never want diving to be something they don't feel is a choice) and 2 of us actually went diving. There was a 3rd diver in the water with us. Last time I did it we had 6 divers in the water.

Really great time. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, but I can see us doing this 3 or 4 times a year. The bonus is coming home with tons of oysters to share with my grandparents and some other family members that don't get out much anymore.

View attachment 700058View attachment 700059View attachment 700060View attachment 700061View attachment 700062View attachment 700063View attachment 700064View attachment 700066View attachment 700067
View attachment 700071

@rob-mwpropane do you know which oyster bed you were diving? Was it on the east or west shore? Happen to have a lat/long?

@rob-mwpropane do you know which oyster bed you were diving? Was it on the east or west shore? Happen to have a lat/long?

I do not have the exact location but I have dove out of Annapolis and Kent Island.. so I guess east and west?

Not starting a new thread, but yesterday was the last oyster dive ofthe season. The boat has changed, some of the faces have changed but great time had by all.

Until next season!

Back
Top Bottom