Chemo Head from Chemo/Radiation Therepy -Nitrox Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Two years ago, I was treated fro Lymphoma with Chemo & Radiation. Sometimes when doing something new or in a new environment there can be minimum slowing of thinking processing a situation. Will Nitrox Air mixture add to additional problems whuch may lead to confusion while underwater? I was planning recreational diving activities with depths below 100 ft.

Two years ago, I was treated fro Lymphoma with Chemo & Radiation. Sometimes when doing something new or in a new environment there can be minimum slowing of thinking processing a situation. Will Nitrox Air mixture add to additional problems whuch may lead to confusion while underwater? I was planning recreational diving activities with depths below 100 ft.

Hi 7bklyn11keywest,

How do you think your slowed processing/thinking will affect your ability to react to an emergency under water? Not necessarily looking for an answer here but it's something to consider. Have you noticed issues while performing other tasks that require you to rapidly adapt to changing situations, like driving in heavy traffic? Have you spoken to your physician about diving?

By below 100 feet, do you mean shallower than 100 feet? Have you taken a nitrox course already? Higher-O2 mixes will contain less nitrogen but they also have shallower max operating depths. For example, if you use 1.4 ata as your max acceptable O2 partial pressure, you're limited 95 feet on 36% nitrox.

Best regards,
DDM

On the flipside, if you do mean below 100' one factor to consider is Nitrogen Narcosis since that's where most people start to feel/notice the effects.

Hi 7bklyn11keywest,

How do you think your slowed processing/thinking will affect your ability to react to an emergency under water? Not necessarily looking for an answer here but it's something to consider. Have you noticed issues while performing other tasks that require you to rapidly adapt to changing situations, like driving in heavy traffic? Have you spoken to your physician about diving?

By below 100 feet, do you mean shallower than 100 feet? Have you taken a nitrox course already? Higher-O2 mixes will contain less nitrogen but they also have shallower max operating depths. For example, if you use 1.4 ata as your max acceptable O2 partial pressure, you're limited 95 feet on 36% nitrox.

Best regards,
DDM
Thank You for your response. I will take it under serious consideration

Take advice obviously from your oncologist. For what it's worth I have dived with people who have had cancer successfully treated , so it's not impossible. Also don't underestimate the massive benefit to your well being in terms of feeling of achievement , exercise, stress reduction , learning a new skill, meeting new people , travel etc. etc. etc.

Good luck x

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom