Cheezy cultus lake video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here's a little 3 minute fromage from our last lake trip. It's not good and only of interest to a couple of us so don't blame me if you look. I'm adding another light and some diffusers to try to eliminate the hot spots. Nice 135' wall though.

YouTube - cultus lake Pt 1 final.wmv

I see you listed the depth in your post. Ignore previous comment.

However why did you let dinner run away?

A lobster? Did I see a lobster in that video?

Dale, you'll have to let me know when you're planning on making a splash in the saltless water, I'm another one of those lake fans..

Dale, you'll have to let me know when you're planning on making a splash in the saltless water, I'm another one of those lake fans..

i'lll take that as well but cant do 135

Yep it was a crayfish. Collect enough and I suppose you would have a lobster. That one was about 8". Lots of those, sculpins, sticklebacks, shiners and minnows and the occasional trout. We also saw some patches of FW sponge colonies and something else I haven't yet identified (sort of a hydroid I think).
One fish I am always on the lookout for is the slimy sculpin, a small dark smudge of a fish that is on the endangered species list as Cultus is the only location in is found. It is thought to inhabit the deeper portions of the lake and not very much is known about it.

I usually dive lakes midweek as it is a good way to get a dive in without the commute (for me anyways). Those that live in the Vancouver area are already close to the ocean so the lakes may be more of a hassle.
In Port Moody Buntzen lake is a good lake. easy entry, generally good vis and a gradually sloping profile. There are some bluffs across from the dock that bear investigation (John and Randy may have already scootered them?). Last year we found some walls around the far side of the closest Islets. Some classes go to Sasamat lake too but last year they had a fecal coliform advisory so watch out!

The cliffs at Cultus are accessable by boat (or a very long surface swim) and I was happy that Todd invited me along last week as it was a destination I wanted to check out for a long time. Another dive of interest is midlake on the western shore where the DND owns some land. Urban legend has it that jeeps, trucks and even a Bailey bridge have been dumped in the lake there over the years.

I want to find the jeeps and militaria!

BTW I don't dive in poo.

Buntzen has been well explored... some nice cliffs and walls that like to go to 120ft or so.

Let me know when you want to go next... Its been a while for some lake diving and I've never done cultis.... yet.

Also crayfish - or crawfish are attracted to hotdogs. So make sure your p-valves are closed.

John,

I spoke to Randy on Saturday at the LD opening and he said he was just there (I kinda assumed you were with him, but I guess not). He said he found nothing. Thinks it's nothing more than an urban myth.

I want to find the jeeps and militaria!

BTW I don't dive in poo.

Buntzen has been well explored... some nice cliffs and walls that like to go to 120ft or so.

Let me know when you want to go next... Its been a while for some lake diving and I've never done cultis.... yet.

Also crayfish - or crawfish are attracted to hotdogs. So make sure your p-valves are closed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom