Checkout Location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ribcap

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

I've been debating getting into diving for sometime now and now that a friend has done it, I'll have a partner. One thing I'm wondering about is dive locations for the Open Water checkout (or exit). I'm looking at a few places to take the training and noticed that the difference in price seems to be dependant on the exit dives location. Is there much difference between doing the dive "from shore" where I assume we'll wade out to a certain point and dive, and doing a dive from a boat?

PS....I've been reading everyone's posts all day and am getting very excited. I'll be traveling alot for work this year (Ireland, Australia, Panama, etc..) so I'm trying to get ideas.....

Thanks All!

Rib

Welcome to SB Rid. We can give better discussions if you complete your profile with locatio.

ribcap:
I'll be traveling alot for work this year (Ireland, Australia, Panama, etc..) so I'm trying to get ideas.....

Give us an idea where you'll be travelling FROM so we can better offer ideas as to where to travel TO.

Ray

hey

good decision to get into diving. its a vast and great sport. as far as diving from a boat or shore they both have their ups and downs. i think from a shore would be a little more difficult depending on surf, tide, distance, and land location. do whatever suits you best, preferably whats cheaper i would do. the boat dives should be more due to the fuel and crew costs. most of my dives have been from a boat, but i dive the south pacific where the reefs are sometimes far from shore. right now im stuck in san diego where all i do is shore dives, where exiting and entering can be a nightmare. if ou plan on diving in the caribbean alot of dives are closer to shore. ex: bonaire. where do you plan on doing your ow. give a location and you should get alot of feedback. anyway welcome to the community.

Here in Key Largo, FL, we do a LOT of referrals (Persons who have done their classroom and confined water, but choose to the warm waters of Florida for their check out dives). That being said, 99% of the dives in the Keys are boat dives, where the boat is boarded from a dock.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Scuba Diving!!

Pat

And unless you live near a good shore diving spot, the majority of your dives will probably be off a boat. I'd suggest you get some boat diving techniques and practice thrown into the mix. It might cost more but it'll be well worth it.

For my checkout dives last weekend, we did two shore dives and two boat dives. I can tell you that as a new diver the two experiences are very different, and it's worth it to have your first boat dive experience while with an instructor.

Hey guys...thx for the replies. I'm in Toronto Ontario. The issue I'm having is that the boat dives seem to be $250 more then a shore dive.... The shore dive will be done in a lake as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom