Checking in from CO but soon to be FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeW42

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been out of the water for way too long since moving to CO in 2004, but hope to rectify that shortly when I move to Melbourne, FL at the end of next month.

I've enjoyed diving in a number of places, but most of my dives were in Hawaii. Mostly on Oahu, but also dove Kona, Maui, Lanai and Kauai.

Marine Corps career gave me further opportunities to dive in Okinawa, Philippines, Diego Garcia and Australia, but I've been out of the game too long. When I first started diving, the rebranded Navy Dive tables is what we used with computers just starting to come out. Despite my certifications, I've been above water too long and a lot has changed. I was shocked that Scubapro didn't have orange BCs anymore and most don't wear weight belts.

First stop once I get to Melbourne will be at Hatt's Dive shop for the PADI ReActivate course and relearn everything I knew almost 40 years ago.

I'm looking forward to learning on this forum and perhaps contribute when I can.

We used to call divers who didn't use a BC, gorilla divers and I have a feeling that I have become them.

Mike

Mike,
Welcome.
I am glad you are able to get back into diving!

Welcome to Scubaboard, @MikeW42!

I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts throughout the forum!

Welcome, Mike!

. . . We used to call divers who didn't use a BC, gorilla divers and I have a feeling that I have become them.

My guess is you will quickly learn to love all the improvements in gear. I have seen the term "monkey diving" used to refer to diving without a BC, but not "gorilla diving." Here: Sooo what about Monkey diving? And here: A weekend of Monkey diving.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the term was first "guerrilla" diving, as in, an unorthodox, increased-mobility style of diving? And that morphed in gorilla and finally monkey?

Someone in this thread suggests it comes from the expression "monkeying around": Monkey Diving

You're only 100 miles north of Jupiter, 115 miles north of West Palm, 130 miles north of Boynton Beach.

I had a 17 year hiatus in my diving, it was not difficult getting back in, That was in 1997. The biggest changes will be nitrox and dive computers.

Welcome back

Welcome! Be sure and follow the Florida forum. Many of us post regular dive reports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom