Checkin in from VA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2manyhobbies

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey gang - just found this site through the help of Sticksout (Check the thread below this one). I'm a recent PADI open water diver, just returned from a dive trip to the Great Barrier Reef and am anxiously looking to plan my next trip. Planning to push through my advanced and some specialties this fall and have the early plans for a trip to Palau in the works for next year. Between now and then I'm planning to go to the Falloran Islands off the Ca coast and do the great white dive.

I'm sure I'll be looking to many of you for advice and hopefully will be able to meet some of you over time on a few dive trips.

Cheers
Sandy

Welcome 2many! I'm down in the Tidewater area, and green with envy! GBR and Palau? :D

Welcome to the board,

Mike

Thanks Mike. If you ever want to head up to Lake Anna (where I live) I'm planning to do some dives this fall/winter since the water is heated! There's a bunch of old equipment at the bottom of the lake from when they built it back in the 60's. Let me know!

Greetings 2many and welcome! I'm in Amherst, a little south of you. Can't imagine the viz in Lake Anna would be all that good?

Greetings 2many and welcome! I'm in Amherst, a little south of you. Can't imagine the viz in Lake Anna would be all that good?

During the summer months, not a chance. However that water is crystal clear come Oct-Feb and when the water temps are up near 70 in the middle of winter, I can't complain. I haven't done any diving on the lake yet so I'm going off what I've been told by others that live near me, but I do go wakeboarding in the middle of winter and know it's clear as ever from 10 ft and up (skin diving) :) ..

Amherst, I used to have friends I'd visit down that way. Nice area!

70 in the winter? We'll have to put together a dive! (I'll still go dry...)

70 in the winter? We'll have to put together a dive! (I'll still go dry...)

Definitely, I'll try to work something out for early November! I'm researching different dive sites now for the warm side of the lake, apparently there is a bunch of buried heavy equipment from when the constructed the lake in the 60's. They had just finished the damn and were planning to fill the lake slowly over 5 years, instead a hurricane came in 5 weeks before the planned start and filled it up in 8 days! So anything down there stayed there permanently!

I'll probably go in a 7mm that time of year, but I'm also going to cert in dry so maybe I'll bring my instructor along and get my drysuit badge out of the way too! :)

Around Lake Anna there are alot of realtors with a verity of maps. Some have the old roads and bridges subdued on current maps. Blount Realty, Inc. is an example.

2manyhobbies,

Have you done any dives in Lake Anna this past winter, how'd it go?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom