Check your mouth piece!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike7

Reaction score
Ok so last night I was diving in a swimming pool like I do once, twice a week. I was practising a few things then the next second my dive buddy was holding my reg in his hand and I was thinking thats mine! but it felt like it was still in my mouth because the mouth piece popped off the reg, to cut it short check your mouth piece before you dive (if you dont already) as it was a little strange at first but I was calm and carried out the right steps.

Just glad it happened now instead of while I'm on holiday in two weeks. :)

Mike7:
Just glad it happened now instead of while I'm on holiday in two weeks.
You don't have a spare mouthpiece and ziptie in your gear bag? (otherwise what would be the difference if it happened now or on Holiday?)

However, your advice is still very good.

Wristshot

So did you notice large amounts of water whilst breathing in? :D

Wristshot,

I have some zipties but I managed to get it back on and finish the last half an hour or so left. I just thought of it as it's better to happen now then later as it was clearly making it self loose and it needed tighting.
The difference of it happening in a pool then on holiday is I didnt really think this kinda of thing could happen but I over came it and will know for next time to check.

dlndavid,

Heheh luckly I just inhaled when it happened and my buddy said I had a right face on me "shocked" as it was in my mouth but minus the reg when he was holding it. :p

oh yeah, thanks for replying nearly 100views... just thought it could help someone. :wink:

So THAT's why a zip tie came with my new mouthpiece!!! I'm glad it happened in the pool and not on your holiday! I'm sure there are people who are benefitting from this thread!

Mike7:
Ok so last night I was diving in a swimming pool like I do once, twice a week. I was practising a few things then the next second my dive buddy was holding my reg in his hand and I was thinking thats mine! but it felt like it was still in my mouth because the mouth piece popped off the reg, to cut it short check your mouth piece before you dive (if you dont already) as it was a little strange at first but I was calm and carried out the right steps.

Just glad it happened now instead of while I'm on holiday in two weeks. :)

Same happened to me. twice now.

the latest time: I was in about neck deep water and about two or three foot surf. A wave knocks me over and my tank hits the bottom but I always keep the reg in my moulth while in the surf so I inhale and "water" I try to clear it by blowing and take another breath, "water" I try once more then figure I can't figure it out so I reach for the octo. When I go to take the primary out I notice it is gone, justt the silicone moulth piece is there. The force of the wave hitting pulled the reg off the mouthpiece I held onto the mouthpaeice so when I got home I found a bright yellow zip tie. Now with luck I'll notice a missing zip tie

A couple years ago: Same exact thing happed while snorkling . I jump off a boat and the force of hitting ther water rips loose the mask (I know now to hold the mask with one hand) and I'm left with the snorkel mouthpiece and I inhale water, attempt to clear at least twice. It's funny that I didn't miss the mask for the first few seconds. Figured that one out fast enough that I found the mask and the rest of the snorkle sinking slowing nearby.

I saw this happen to an instructor while teaching my niece on a resort "discover scuba" dive. I saw the reg casually drop from her mouth, mouthpiece still in there, saw her casually breathe a little water, and equally casually reach for her alternate and continue breathing, never once taking her eyes off the students or sending any vibes of concern to the students. Pretty impressive!

This scenario happend to me on my VERY FIRST OW cert dive. A real OOA my first time out of the pool... FUN FUN!

Ahhh so its not just me :p ,its a strange feeling when it happens I'll tell ya that.

Glad to see some will take this on board and to hear some storys coming from this.

This is one of the reasons I carry zip ties, not only in my spare kits box... but in my BC pocket. I've replaced mouthpieces on dives for people in the middle of a dive, and also, put bc inflators back on... (they don't hold much air when that darn inflator tie wrap breaks and the end comes off in your hand) and used them for other emergency fixes. Always have a few tucked into a pocket... I'll be if you do much diving... one day you'll use one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom