Check This Little Camera Rig Out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HAHAHAAA!! :)

Wait... Maybe it was. :)

Haven't had it below 50'.

Not too worried about it though... 150 dives so far, $25 to replace. If it floods, oh well.

On the other hand, I do inspect the o-rings in the light, camera, and housing every time I charge it - which is pretty much nightly. Predictably, every once in a while dust and salt and debris needs to be cleaned off.

If I didn't - a flood would occur whether it was a $25 light or an expensive setup.

Perhaps people are willing to maintain their expensive gear, but not their $25 lights? I don't see a reaaon why this would leak any more than a GoPro housing. The design and materials is exactly the ssme.

Haven't had it below 50'.

Not too worried about it though... 150 dives so far, $25 to replace. If it floods, oh well.

On the other hand, I do inspect the o-rings in the light, camera, and housing every time I charge it - which is pretty much nightly. Predictably, every once in a while dust and salt and debris needs to be cleaned off.

If I didn't - a flood would occur whether it was a $25 light or an expensive setup.

Perhaps people are willing to maintain their expensive gear, but not their $25 lights? I don't see a reaaon why this would leak any more than a GoPro housing. The design and materials is exactly the ssme.

Good points. Reviews are never 100% reliable and you make a good point about GoPro housings being rectangular, although there's probably a lot better tooling and quality control on a GoPro product compared to a Chinese knock off.

I'll have to pick one up and try it out. Not bad for $25.

Yep, I agree.

In giving it a good inspection tonight, it appears that the light housing is slightly thinner and made of a different kind of plastic than a GoPro housing. And you're right... It appears to be slightly less perfectly tooled.

Still... I haven't had a problem, and I'm pretty rough on all my gear.

The o-ring on the light is black, too, rather than being white, but in the hand there appears to be no difference in suppleness or material. It might be slightly smaller than a GoPro o-ring, but it's tough to tell.

As you mention, there seems to be a slightly lower quality feel about it over GoPro's housings... But it still seems pretty adequate.

For those wondering... This light uses a single standard GoPro battery, and is user-replacable in the field... So if you want more burn time, you can always replace it as long as you have access to the surface. Interestingly, the GoPro Hero 4 Session camera does NOT have a removable battery (the only GoPro like that)... But at that price you can buy two for the price of a single Hero 4 Silver, so it's a wash in my book... In fact, easier. I like it.

I have run the light for four hours straight on it's low setting, which is adequate and what I used in the videos above. I hear that it'll run for six.

I am told that the Hero 4 Session runs about an hour to and hour and a half on a single charge, but I've always turned it on and off at intervals to reduce the amount of pointless footage and reduce my editing time; so I've had it last for four or five hour dives that way without a problem. Like the light, the Hero 4 Session is charged by a micro USB port, the same as all Android phones and my vapor. One charger runs everything. :)

The Hero 4 Session has a neat trick for conserving battery; it's off when it's not videoing. Push the big button at the top and it comes on and records. Press it again and it stops recording snd shuts off. Simple.

Today's video:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom