Check out dives tomorrow at cerulean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeachJunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone. I've spent all week going through the process of finally "officially" getting certified. Its been a learning experience (although other than the pool sessions I had already picked everything up and more off this board!). I will be doing my first set of checkout dives tomorrow morning at cerulean and the rest on sunday. Was just curious if anyone was going to be around. I'd like to meet a few people to dive with around here. My dive buddy for the class has NO interest. He's purely a vacation/cruise diver. (hasn't had much interest in anything other than getting done and going home... but thats another gripe for another time.) So, if anyone is at the quarry early tomorrow or at all on sunday and you see a tall skinny blonde kid with a umm... larger (trying to be nice) guy, feel free to holler out and come say hello! I'll be there for the treasure hunt next weekend as well. See you in the water!

BeachJunkie

Good luck tomorrow with the cert sives. Best Advice I can give you is to relax. Get the whole Zen thing going on. The more relaxed and at ease you are the better you will do and the more fun you will have. Get the Zen going. Keep the Zen going. Diving is all about being relaxed.

Not sure about my current zen level. I'm pretty stoked still from the pools dives tonight. Guess I'll have to re-arrange my room a bit. try to center my chi and get a good fung shue goin. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully all goes well!

Your dives will be fine. What you have to worry about is picking up a date at Ft Campbell Kentucky and carrying her to the movie across state lines at Ft Campbell Tennessee. Check IDs. I always enjoyed Cerulean - Shallow enough that the water is warm all the way down and lots of stuff to see.

Everything went excellent today. I had an absolute blast and the vis was actually a lot better than I thought it would be. I figured it would be about 8-10 feet but it was actually closer to 15-20. They've been runnin the pump all week and the water is super warm. We went all over the quarry and the instructor had us all down in the "basement" showin us the thermocline and everything. I even got to do a third dive with just the instructor cause I wanted to check out a pair of split fins. So after a short little surface interval while everyone else broke down thier gear and put it away, he and I went back out for a quick dive. He took me to the spot under the wall where the tub is flipped upside down and you can pop up and talk. it was pretty sweet. His split fins were so much different than my blades. I actually liked them a LOT better. As he put it, its like "trying to kick with a piece of plywood attatched to your feet". Looks like I'll be investing in a pair in the near future. Ok, well I've rambled on enough. I'll be back out there tomorrow. And I already registered for the treasure hunt next weekend. See ya'll out there!

BeachJunkie:
His split fins were so much different than my blades. I actually liked them a LOT better. As he put it, its like "trying to kick with a piece of plywood attached to your feet". Looks like I'll be investing in a pair in the near future. Ok, well I've rambled on enough.
I know you didn't ask for my advise but... I'd hold off on the split fins until you get a few dives under your belt. Blades are actually pretty decent fins. You'll be able to maneuver much better with the blades. Speed isn't everything. After you've dove 20 or so dives then try the splits. If you like them better then buy them.

I say,... I have the Genesis Response fins. They are a hybrid of blade & split. They are quite solid along the edges & have a soft flexible rubber center that flexes similar to a split fin. Best of both worlds. The power of a blade fin & the ease on the legs of a split fin. The only drawback is I'm going to have to go with a stiffer fin for my doubles. Those Response fins don't quite move me in the water very well.

I didn't mind my blades much, I've used that style fin my whole life. I have the ones like tammy mentioned where they're really stiff on the outside but have a slightly more flexible rubber portion in the middle that allows them to bend. They're nice, and many times I would catch myself blasting past everyone with much less effort and less kicks. They just torqued my ankles a lot more than the split fins did. The splits were a lot easier to kick. Being airborne has taken its toll on my knees and ankles so I'm always up for somethin that cators to them a bit. But I will definately keep the ones I have now and give myself a chance to get used to them. Maybe get the other set when finances and experience make it possible.

JPSexton, don't ever worry about giving me advice, I'm ALWAYS open to it. I'm a newb and appreciate any and all criticism and advice be it positive or negative. I appreciate educated opinions, so feel free to give yours to me any time. Thanks for the advice everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom