Check Out Dive Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

delco once bubbled...
I just completed the pool session of the open water dive class this weekend and will be doing my check out dives this coming weekend. Can anyone tell me what this will entail? Will I have to perform all of the same skills as I did in the pool? Or are there just selected skills? Any feedback you could provide would be much appreciated!

Even certified divers do somthing like a checkout dive to refresh their skills from time to time. Just imagine these checkouts as a time for YOU to do your stuff in a "real" environment, relax and pretend you're doing it for yourself and not for someone else i.e. instructor.

That way there'll be little or no stress and you'll have a great time instead :)

Just got back from my first day of open water dives and it was GREAT!!!! SO much different from the pool. I easily performed all of the skills and even had time to explore the underwater world!! :) Tomorrow, I go back for dive 3 and 4 and am really looking forward to it. One thing...I feel like I am in a tunnel right now (my ears feel congested). I equalized frequently, so I am not sure why I feel this way. Any suggestions on ways to avoid this tomorrow?

Delco --

Great to hear your first day of Open Water went well. Good for you! Can't wait to hear how your second day went. You sporting that temporary C-card yet?

As for your ears... two thoughts... (1) make sure you start clearing BEFORE you begin your decent and keep clearing all the way to the bottom. Don't wait until it hurts to start! (2) you probably have water in your ears, too. You might want to pick up some ear drops for swimmer's ear or you can just use a drop of isopropyl alchohol.

your full report about your check-outs. Did your ears clear up?

Hope all went well!
Ber :bunny:

My checkout dives went great and I am now certified! My ears were better today (I actually took prescription allergy medicine and that seemed to really help!) Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom