Check Out Dive - Buoyancy Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last weekend was my first dive of my second year. The water was cold and ruff. The visability was from 5 to 8 feet, the worst I've ever bin in. Our plan was just to get wet get a little practice. We stayed near the dock and looked at the fish and garbage (found a bike). The dive went well but I had a hard time with my buoyancy. Last year I was doing alright with my bouyance I'm not proclaiming I was a master or anything but I thought I was doing well for the expearence i had.
What I'm wondering is, am I just rusty or is more difficult to time tune bouyance when you can't see much.

Jean

Sounds like you dove in Prospect NS.

You may just be rusty. After a few dives it should come back. Remember, you have very few dives under your belt.

One thing I've noticed is even taking a break from diving due to exams that can last a month or two can result in a notable drop in my buoyancy skills compared to what they used to be. Also depending on your depth if you were fairly shallow it can be quite easy in low vis to have you poping up without knowing you were that shallow. So I would suggest on another day of diving pick a site with good vis stay semi-what shallow 15-20ft (3-5m) and just practice a bit moving around for a dive that will quickly dial in your buoyancy and honestly some of the things I like to see most are not that deep as oyu usually lots of little critters in the shallows here on vanc island.

I've gotten out twice since then both times the viz was better. I seem to be back to were I was before. Weather it was rustyness or the viz we may never know but thanks for all the input.

Jean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom