Check my homework? First time regulator service.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brtlmj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I have a Zeagle-branded, Apeks-made first stage. Basically, a version of Apeks FST. This year I decided to service it myself.

I am not sure how to judge the quality of the MP lock-up and where the lock-up ends and creep starts. (Some make it sound like there is an easily discernible wall that the needle hits before the creep starts. For me it looks more like the needle is slowing down... almost like a capacitor charging. Yes, I am an EE :) )

So, I thought I would just take a couple of video clips and ask our regulator experts for their opinions :)

500 PSI (OK, this one does look like hitting a wall!):
2400 PSI:
3200 PSI:

There is no pressure rise beyond what is shown in the three clips.

So... how did I do? The manual says 0.25 bar creep is OK.

Thanks!
Bart

that's fine. Your gauge isn't precise enough to determine a .25bar creep anyway, but after 5 minutes there is no real movement to speak of. That's a lot better than some shops I have seen. Make sure to redo your IP checks after 10-20 dives. The HP seats start to take a seat and usually causes the IP to start to wander a bit so it's nice to put it back in check. Not needed obviously, but never hurts

Great, thanks!

By "wander a bit" you mean that it will lock up at a slightly different pressure, not start to creep, right?

B.

yes, it'll be a different IP but no creep. You can decide if you want to readjust the IP to get it back to where you want with the hex key. If you're within 5 psi of 135 it's not worth the bother for me. The take away here is to occasionally check your IP to keep tabs on what's going on with your reg set. That simple gauge will give you a lot of information on where you should be looking when things aren't exactly what they where the last time you checked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom