Check dive scam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I notice many dive operators here in the Red Sea area want a "check dive" first in order to dive with them (for 30 Euros or something like that of course), take you to a shallow area to "test" your buoyancy skills. This is regardless of any other proof (AOW card, log books etc.) I have never before heard of this anywhere else. Is this some kind of scam to generate extra revenue?

I did find others of course that did not have this requirement so I dove with them :) the ones that insisted on check dives lost my business which is too bad for them!

Post in the Red Sea sub-forum under Middle East. I've noticed divemasters posting comments there that might give you the real deal.

Requiring a check dive is not unusual for many places throughout the world. If you are experienced, it results in easy money for them, but they also need to know you have reasonable skills before throwing together the groups they have. You can avoid that type of environment either by using a liveaboard when possible or a dive resort with their own operation, though you essentially still do the same thing just as part of an overall group of dives.

Or you can use it to impress the hell out of em when you do all skills in midwater and hovering while the so called "checkers" are planted on the bottom on their knees. That said I enjoy the requirement. Makes for less hassle when I tell the DM I'm going to dive my plan and go where I want to go. In Puerto Rico once the DM saw me and my student do his first checkout dive he just waved to us as we swam away where we wanted while the sheep had to follow him.

It's pretty standard in a lot of places. I always want to do a quick check out dive to see if I have any bugs in my gear anyway.

Charging 30E for it does seem a little high though.

I remember an instructor from my LDS went on vacation to Bonaire and they made him do a check out dive (although I don't think they charged for it).

When he was told he said "I am an MSDT with over 300 certifications - how experienced exactly is the divemaster that you are sending me out with to check my skills?"

Everyone does a check out dive on Bonaire.
It's to make sure all your gear is in order - no DM with you and the cost is free!

Coco View (on Roatan) generally requires a checkout/Orientation dive as well - It's also free!

I have no problem with a check out dive, and I certainly don't use them to put my hosts in their place. It's their reefs, and I don't mind that they want to protect them.

Look at it like this: If a check-out dive will help ensure that my dive is not spoiled by a bad diver, then I'm willing to do one. If the dive op has to expend resources to do the check-out dive the op is entitled to be paid for the cost of doing the check-out dive. However, it should not be an independent profit center for the dive op.

And, Jim: As far as following a DM like sheep, my experience has consistently been that the DM knows where to see the most cool stuff. After all, in many places, the DM's tip is proportional to how much really cool stuff he or she can spot ... especially if I would have missed it.

I also have no issue with check out dives, and I find that they are quite common, in one form or another. I've usually seen them in the form of a shallow dive in a sheltered area over sand where you can sort out any equipment or buoyancy issues without damaging a reef. I agree with Jim that I'd prefer not to follow the DM, and I am happy to give him the comfort he needs to allow me to dive independently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom