Question Cheap source for Atomic second stage face plates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johndiver999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have at least two second stages for which the plactic face plate has completely disintegrated. Amazing that they use(d) such a crappy material.

Anyway is there a cheap source for replacement? I found some for around $25???

I have at least two second stages for which the plactic face plate has completely disintegrated. Amazing that they use(d) such a crappy material.

Anyway is there a cheap source for replacement? I found some for around $25???

You must have very old ones. They had a batch of not so good ones very long time ago. You need to make sure that you get current ones that fit your second stage.

They were famous for this back in the day.

The metal never corroded, but their plastic parts did! (The plastic jam nuts and the plastic retainer bolt for the adjuster knob also crapped out early)

I work in a scuba school. I'm in charge of the scuba gear maintenance.
I'm tired to replace flex covers that desintegrate in my hands.
So, moving a little my neurons, I got this design and 3Dprinted it.
The design has now some few improvments.

I work in a scuba school. I'm in charge of the scuba gear maintenance.
I'm tired to replace flex covers that desintegrate in my hands.
So, moving a little my neurons, I got this design and 3Dprinted it.
The design has now some few improvments.

This would be great for our rental Atomic regs, especially if we could make some with our logo in them, or at least a flat place to put our logo sticker. Plus we could finally move away from the troublesome clamping ring which is way too hard to grab, even with the custom tool, on most regs that have been in service for a while.

What do you figure the cost would be per unit?

This would be great for our rental Atomic regs, especially if we could make some with our logo in them, or at least a flat place to put our logo sticker. Plus we could finally move away from the troublesome clamping ring which is way too hard to grab, even with the custom tool, on most regs that have been in service for a while.

I live in Argentina, exporting to the US is prohibitive, not only shipping is costly, but in time and paper work. Just my experience with 3D printing for scuba gear. Perhaps you can find someone near you that can make the design and print.
Selling my design can also be difficult as there is no simple way to receive payments from overseas. Paypal is banned here.
Further more, I've not worked with Atomic second stages (that brand is not here in Argentina) so, designing a new cover is almost impossible.

You appear to have your profile set to not allow DMs.... Shoot me a DM so we can start the conversation, and if you have one of the Atomic face plates you want replaced that you could spare I could design something like that fairly quick (just need an original on hand for measurements). In terms of materials, a printed piece in that size range is a couple bucks... anything else in the price is covering wear and tear on the printer, electric bill, etc.

Let me know if you want me to look into it.

Respectfully,

James

Back
Top Bottom