Cheap & simple D.I.Y camera weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cicopo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Since I have seen many questions on how to make a camera neutral or close to neutral cheaply I have made up a Do It Yourself of what I just did for when I don't need my strobe set up. The idea was to do it the simplest & cheapest way I could think of, and that anyone could duplicate with minimum skills or tools, and I think I've done it. About the only tool required is a drill with a drill bit slightly larger than 1/4 inch, say 9/32 inch. You need that to drill the mounting hole, and can use it for fine tuning the weight for the perfect buoyancy to suit your needs. I like my camera to be just a tiny bit positive. Don't be concerned that doing this in fresh water won't work equally as well in salt water, because it will be the same since the camera case volume just isn't large enough for the difference in displaced volume to be noticeable.

IMG_2089.JPG

WHAT YOU NEED.

Some lead, or anything like it such as solder. You can go all out and use solder, but cheaper ways to get lead are from old wheel balancing weights (from your garage or a tire store, old wheels you have etc), lead weights used for fishing, lead pellets from a soft pouch dive weight, or from the old stand by lead weight we thread our belt through. You won't need much, for this particular DIY, but may get an idea or 2 for something more elaborate. My guess is 8 to 10 oz max.
A "Frost plug" for automobile engines, which can be called an expansion plug, or freeze plug and may have other common names around the world, but they are readily available in many sizes & styles at any auto parts store.
Either a heat source to melt the lead, a hammer to re-shape the lead, or some form of epoxy to glue it together inside the frost plug. The lead can be melted in an old tin can on a stove, or using a torch (propane or welding type) or on a camping stove with an open flame. You'll need leather gloves or better yet pliers to hold the can to pour the lead, OR you can melt the lead right inside the frost plug, whichever you prefer. (Cut old wheel weights into small pieces first if doing it inside the frost plug). If you don't want to melt the lead use a hammer to pound it into the frost plug, or if using lead shot or small fishing line sinkers just find how much it takes to sink the camera & glue them into the frost plug. The idea is to be too heavy in the beginning & then fine tune by drilling holes to lighten the weight later.
A 1/4 inch bolt with a coarse thread, preferably stainless steel or brass, and the length will depend on the depth of the frost plug. I also highly recommend a "star" style lock washer to prevent the bolt from loosening on it's own.

IMG_2085.JPG

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT THE BOLT.

The bolt needs to be carefully fitted to hold the weight to the housing, but can't be long enough to put pressure on the housing by threading too far through the tripod mount hole. If you have a hack saw you can easily cut a longer bolt to the correct length, otherwise use more washers under the head. Bolts come in 1/4 inch increments, so it won't be too hard finding the right match. To determine the exact length count the number of turns it takes to gently bottom it out when screwed BY HAND into the tripod socket. Ideally you want about Ž½ turn less or a bit more up to 1 full turn WITHOUT the star washer but with the weight added. Once you have that the way it should be then add the star washer & lightly tighten with a wrench or pleir etc.

Anyone with other simple ideas or variations please add your ideas & suggestions, photos etc. Thanks, Larry.

the photo album is here.
Picasa Web Albums - Larry - Camera Weight...

Your flash adaptor looks cool! & it will protect the housing quite well...

Thanks. When I built the first version for my S1 I thought the same re the added protection, and since it worked the way I wanted it to it was natural to do it again for the G9, and with a small modification I can add a screw on adapter for auxillary lenses down the road. My first real use will be in a few weeks when I head down to Cozumel.

If u are not half the world away, would get u to make & sell me one... Heehee...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom