Cheap NIMHS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runvus4 once bubbled...
You could wire in parallel instead of serial to prevent the over-voltage, but then I believe that it increases the current instead which can also be bad.

The reason that you would wire in parallel instead of serial is to increase either the current capacity or to extend the amount of time the battery can supply the required current. But you have to double the amount of cells to do this.

runvus4 once bubbled...
but it's not entirely as easy as "pick 9 batteries from collumn A" and "lighthead and ballast" from collumn B" and slap it into custom body.

Well it’s not much more difficult. You could take two approaches and base the design either on the battery size and weight restrictions or lighting capacity. Most time it would be a tradeoff between the two.

Let’s say you want a 10 Watt HID. You first select the bulb and from it’s specifications select a ballast. Based on the specification of the ballast you select batteries.

What’s difficult is coming up with a design that is economically feasible, that provides the desired amount of light for desired duration, with a realistic battery size and weight.

Send me $100,000 and I will provide you with a canister that is a quarter of the size of the DJS canister and provides twice the burn time. Of course they would probably cost $3-5K each after the first was built. Perhaps if 10,000 were sold we could get the cost down to $500 per battery pack, only 5 times the current price.

not a troll at all what dnaxdiver meant when he said you couuld build a nihm cannister for aoubt $43 using the cheap nihms he posted about here was that you could build a nihm cannister for about $43 usiing the cheap nihms he posted about her nothing complicated about that as long as you can read good enogh to notice he said $43 nihm cannister and not $43 nihm cannister LIGHT let aloneg $43 nihm HID CANTISTER LITE and said MAKE not buy or assemble

it helps if you know someone with a lathe but if not some pateince and a coping saw will do the trick

oh nad I dont claim to be an expert i got it all out of the airspeedpress divelite companion just like everyone else but after building a few i do know somethings

works out like this
battery $15
pvc tube $2
pvc or acrilic for top $3
latches $10
gland 50¢
switch $5
boot $2
misc $5

close enough eh???

See, I knew if we were more subtle we could lure him back!

Dnaxdiver,

Point of order here. What Dnaxdiver said was, “homebuilder who want to build a $42 helios clone.” The Halcyon Helios is a lighting system, not a battery canister per se.

Would you please post a picture of one of the few canisters that you’ve made and successfully tested?

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. Is there some reason that Dnaxdiver refrains from using punctuation? It makes it difficult to read his posts.

:rofL: Sounds like your making a crapister instead of a canister. Yup, Yup you showed me. Next thing you'll be trying to pass over on us is your DIY rebreather for a 100 bucks.

at the web site. For $5.00 over the cost of the batteries they will put together the batteries and ship with 10 inch leads, for that price why would I want to do the work myself.

sorry if i forgot to say cannsiter i tend to think of the helios as being just the cannister since the lightheads it is sold with both predate the cannister and have been sold in various configurations and with other cannisters

but isnt it being pretty picky to get mad at me for explaining how to duplicate a $400 cannister for $43 by saying you though i meant an entire $800 light??? what do you want for $43???

QUOTE]MikeS once bubbled...
of order here. What Dnaxdiver said was, “homebuilder who want to build a $42 helios clone.” The Halcyon Helios is a lighting system, not a battery canister per se.

Would you please post a picture of one of the few canisters that you’ve made and successfully tested?

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. Is there some reason that Dnaxdiver refrains from using punctuation? It makes it difficult to read his posts.
[/QUOTE]

Personally I am entertained by your over enthusiasm and tendency to wildly exaggerate . First I remember you posting “smack” about members posting that they were happy with their Stealth Dive canisters with Halcyon HID light heads. Then you come in and make this wild claim that you have knowledge about how Helios Lighting System for $43. As it turns out you were only talking about plans for a canister that you read somewhere; still waiting for the pictures of the ones you’ve made.

And you continue to exaggerate:
DNAXdiver once bubbled...
but isnt it being pretty picky to get mad at me for explaining how to duplicate a $400 cannister for $43 by saying you though i meant an entire $800 light??? what do you want for $43???

The canister with battery pack from DJS http://www.stealthdive.com/Lights/price.html is only $325 wired to the light head.

Mike

P.S. How about some punctuation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom