Cheap Lesson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, this is why I do not want anybody touching my gear without me knowing it (no matter where I am). I like to set-up my own gear and do the final once over before I jump in (or in this case throw it in).

What this brings to light in my opinion is that while even a dive briefing might have helped, there really is no replacement for a good buddy check. Even if it is on the boat with no gear "on your person", it would likely have pointed out that your wife had "whoops" pushed the wrong button. I have never been on a boat where I was asked to don my gear in the water but if I am, now I know that a full buddy check is still better (IMO) general dive briefing.

Ditto..

First of all, this is why I do not want anybody touching my gear without me knowing it (no matter where I am). I like to set-up my own gear and do the final once over before I jump in (or in this case throw it in).

...and I concur with this. The practice I like to follow is I may check, but will not alter any certified diver's gear without asking them about it first. I wish everyone else would do the same thing.

Luckily for me, now that I'm starting to dive CCR everyone's too intimidated to lay a finger on my gear now :D

Rule #2 -- don't touch my gear.

You need to teach that to your wifie.

Yes good rule. I don't like anybody touching my gear and I always set it up and take it apart myself (the few exceptions to this have always caused problems...)

Me and my regular buddy are moving towards standardising all our gear too.

I’d like to ask a slightly off topic question if I may. It has been a spell since I’ve needed to don my gear while floating on the surface. I seem to have forgotten the best way to do this. I could use a mental refresher. What technique do you use?

Cheers!

Deleted... Nevermind... I was trying to be funny but it came out wrong. Back on topic.

IÃÅ like to ask a slightly off topic question if I may. It has been a spell since IÃ×e needed to don my gear while floating on the surface. I seem to have forgotten the best way to do this. I could use a mental refresher. What technique do you use?

Cheers!

I use "overhead" to don and doff in the water.

However, I recently read a description in another thread that is a variation for surface donning that I want to try: If I understood it, you inflate BC, then have tank/BC lying on the water tank up & straps down, then essentialy swim up into the BC with arms forward (sort of like "superman") from underneath. This way your arms are in front of you, you can see the straps, etc., versus the risk of getting "straight-jacketed" if you try to put it on from behind. Like I said, I have not tried it, but it sounded easy, just essentially swimming up and into the BC from underneath (or in my case BP/wing).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom