Cheap hotels near Pelham, Alabama?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bamamedic

Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhere between "hold my beer and watch this!" a
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a cheap (but not too nasty!) hotel near Pelham...I'm doing my checkout dives for basic certification later on this week, and figure it'll probably be easier just to stay nearby. Any ideas?

I think there is a Holiday Inn express right at the exit off the interstate. You can't typically go wrong with them.

that exit is Cahaba Valley Road I think.

I think there is a Days Inn there also. (Of course most of the days inn's are a little more 'dated' in their 'decorating'). It might not be in Pelham, but slightly north. I've heard a few divers from our area mention staying there.

EDIT:
Here's a list of hotels on the Pelham website:
Pelham, Alabama: City-Local Hotels

that exit is Cahaba Valley Road I think.

Correct - it's State Rd 119. I've often stayed at the Travelodge right there at I-65 (most recently in 2006, though). There is a Waffle House right next to the hotel, so you can't go wrong there. :D I would not recommend the Ramada Inn across the road - did not have a good experience with them some years ago, and have not gone back since. Most other hotels in the area are more expensive, in my experience.

One thing to be aware of when planning an overnight trip to Pelham. If there is an event going on at Talladega, then that can affect hotel rates and availability as far away as Birmingham. I did a trip there several years ago during a race weekend, and did not reserve a room in advance. I almost could not get one when the time came. On top of that, they jacked up the rates to some ridiculous amount. I always make sure to check the race schedule now, before planning an overnight stay in Pelham.

You can't go right with Waffle House, unless its 3AM and you are lit to shreds :p

I preffer the Hooter :wink:

Welcome to ScubaBoard, congrats on the upcoming certification...

....and War damned Eagle.

If you are the camping type, Oak Mountain State Park is nice. If you have the extra time and like mountain biking, They have the best single track trails I have ever ridden. I think over 26 miles.
They also have cabins.

It is about 2 miles further dive than the above mentioned hotels on Hwy 119.

Alabama State Parks

If you are the camping type, Oak Mountain State Park is nice. If you have the extra time and like mountain biking, They have the best single track trails I have ever ridden. I think over 26 miles.
They also have cabins.

It is about 2 miles further dive than the above mentioned hotels on Hwy 119.

Alabama State Parks

Oak Mtn Park trails that Snep mention are really nice. Lots of trails and all kinds of different levels of inclines. Great for biking or hiking. A few nice waterfalls and a nice lake and campground also.

A nice place to visit.

As for Talledega, it's over for this year. But he's right that you don't want to be within 100 miles of the racetrack that weekend. (unless you've got lots of beer and beads to throw!!! )

If you want to go closer to HWY 150 and the Galleria Mall, the Riverchase Inn is a nice reasonable place to stay. Be sure to use your paramedic status and see what kind of discount they give. Last time I was there my military discount gave me a rate under 60. Use your ID at the Dairy Queen on Hwy 31 at the Oak Mountain turnoff (near a Purple Onion) and get 50% public servant discount. Never hurts to ask for the discount. Thanks for being a paramed and welcome to the board.
Howard

ps never believe anything Denise says.

One thing to be aware of when planning an overnight trip to Pelham. If there is an event going on at Talladega, then that can affect hotel rates and availability as far away as Birmingham. I did a trip there several years ago during a race weekend, and did not reserve a room in advance. I almost could not get one when the time came. On top of that, they jacked up the rates to some ridiculous amount. I always make sure to check the race schedule now, before planning an overnight stay in Pelham.
I think the same can hold true for UA home football games in Tuscaloosa, though the rates may not get as outrageous.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom