Cheap entry level wrist computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

https://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/dg03.shtml

This computer is really hard to beat. You get all the essential features at entry level price. Gauge mode let you use it as backup if you upgrade your computer later.

I have to say that for the price the feature list is quite impressive.

The most important difference IMO is whether the diver wants a more conservative or less conservative algorithm. I assume that the Zoop's RGBM is more conservative and the Hollis's Buhlmann less so.

Just curious, for those of you with DG03's, how challenging do you find it to set it for particular nitrox mixes?

A friend of mine bought one, didn't read the instructions (mistake #1), didn't pack the instructions (mistake #2), and then went on a dive boat with it. I had never seen one before, and he asked for help setting it up for nitrox. After about 10 minutes we were successful in setting it to gauge mode and he was able to use tables, but we never did figure out how to program it for the 36% he had in his tanks.

The Puck, on the other hand, was silly simple. And I won't even tell you how easy it was to use a Shearwater (but there's a huge price premium).

Just curious, for those of you with DG03's, how challenging do you find it to set it for particular nitrox mixes?

I own and have been diving a dg03 for a while. It's SUPER stupid to program. Once you figure it out, though, is easy. I keep my "quick start guide" with my computer at all times just in case.

But Nitrox is easy. Hold right and side buttons until "set f" comes up. Easy from there.

I'll second beaverdiver's recommendation that you take a look at the subgear xp10. It's basically a rebadged aladin. It meets all of your criteria and does not need any special cable - it uses IR. If your computer does not have IR, you can get a usb dongle on ebay for about $10. I bought my XP10 a couple of years ago for about $150 to update my aging oceanic prodigy and have been quite happy with it.

I would suggest a Oceanic Geo to fit your needs. I have seen to many Zoops with bad depth sensors to want to buy one.

Oceanic Geo 2.0 is great, and in your budget. Easy to read, inexpensive, Nitrox compatible, freedive mode and gauge mode too. And it doubles as a watch!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407542561.829635.jpg

Just be aware that the Zoop does not have gauge mode. For this reason I would pay a little extra and buy a Vyper. Hopefully Suunto will correct this omission in the future. Their old entry level model (Gekko) had gauge mode and its a shame they left it out on the Zoop.
in case you were wondering: Gauge mode lets you use the computer as a bottom timer & depth gauge for tech dives, also for snorkeling.

Perhaps the Finland version of the Gekko is different, but our 2 US versions do not have gauge mode. Our Zoop is identical except that there no longer is a need for a "hack" to download.

My wife dives the Geo 2.0 and is absolutely in love with it. I really like it, as well.

One thing to mention: Suunto computers have awful algorithms. Taking up tbone on his offer of a cheap computer would make sense, just due to the price. Paying full retail for one is a bad idea. They're SUPER goofy in terms of their algorithms. They're kind of liberal under some circumstances and then get annoyingly conservative after repetitive diving.

Perhaps the Finland version of the Gekko is different, but our 2 US versions do not have gauge mode. Our Zoop is identical except that there no longer is a need for a "hack" to download.

You are absolutely right & I was wrong: the Gekko does not have gauge mode.
I couldn't believe I was wrong about my 1st computer but I got it out and you are exactly right. It was my old Vytec that has gauge mode, not the Gekko.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom