Cheap, Compact, Lightweight, Focusable Light That Uses Aa / Aaa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to have a small, compact, lightweight dive light mostly just for looking under rocks for crayfish / lobster in the daytime / early evenings. I travel a ton and I've already got a lot of gear, so anything I buy needs to be small and lightweight.

I used to have a nice, cheap, Chinese-made light that I bought from DealExtreme but that one's too heavy and doesn't use AA / AAA batteries. With that said, there are also a LOT of bad-quality Chinese lights out there with completely inaccurate lumen ratings that will probably flood after a few uses. So I'm looking for recommendations for something tried and true.

Hopefully looking for something that is:

- Cheap - I know that there are some good value Chinese-made lights on eBay and DealExtreme that work just fine. No need to go name brand and pay $100+ for a light, especially one I'll be using infrequently.

- Plastic - cuts down on weight

- As bright as possible

- Uses AA / AAA batteries. I know that runtime will be shorter but honestly I don't care. I don't want to lug around a separate charger just for those lithium 18650 batteries.

- Focusable

- Able to select brightness level

I'm not sure you'll find a light with all of those specs combined, but here's an option. Ocean Rhino Mini Tech Speargun Lights

It's small, lightweight, uses 2 AAA batteries, 55 min burn time, US Company based in Florida and is very bright for its size. I own it for my speargun to look under ledges. It's about the size of a sharpie.
image.jpg

I want to have a small, compact, lightweight dive light mostly just for looking under rocks for crayfish / lobster in the daytime / early evenings. I travel a ton and I've already got a lot of gear, so anything I buy needs to be small and lightweight.

I used to have a nice, cheap, Chinese-made light that I bought from DealExtreme but that one's too heavy and doesn't use AA / AAA batteries. With that said, there are also a LOT of bad-quality Chinese lights out there with completely inaccurate lumen ratings that will probably flood after a few uses. So I'm looking for recommendations for something tried and true.

Hopefully looking for something that is:

- Cheap - I know that there are some good value Chinese-made lights on eBay and DealExtreme that work just fine. No need to go name brand and pay $100+ for a light, especially one I'll be using infrequently.

- Plastic - cuts down on weight

- As bright as possible

- Uses AA / AAA batteries. I know that runtime will be shorter but honestly I don't care. I don't want to lug around a separate charger just for those lithium 18650 batteries.

- Focusable

- Able to select brightness level

How about this light? It is not focusable, but it has a very tight, spot light beam, which is exactly what you want for looking into holes. It is extremely compact, can be clipped off to your scuba gear or worn on your dive mask. It is very small, uses one AA battery and at 120 lumens, it is incredibly bright for such a small package. This is made from aircraft grade, anodized aluminum and is rated deeper than you are ever gonna dive..

Mini Dive Light | MAKO Spearguns

MMDL-2T.jpg

How about this one?
OrcaTorch D560,mini diving light with only 9 cm body length
*Uses a single AA battery or 14500 Li-ion battery
*max 630 lumens by using a single 14500 battery
*165 lumens by using a single AA battery
*1h25min longest runtime by using one AA battery
*The weight is only 47.5g (excluding battery)
D560_zpsjzqoxccv.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom