Cheap but still nice diving destinations in SEA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We offer tank rentals in Okinawa at Y700 per tank. We are based in Chatan near Sunabe seawall (great soft coral reef dive just outside the dive center.) Also many other dive sites in the area that are doable from shore.

Hi,

I'm searching for cheap but nice diving destinations in South East Asia. I'm located in Hong Kong, so usually most places are easily and cheap reachable by plane. Anybody any tips? Shore diving is also ok btw.

That's like asking whether you can find pretty girls in a Victoria's Secrets catalogue...

I consider cheap for example an offer i found at Tulamben which included a aircon room, breakfast and unlimited tanks for self diving at below 50US$ per day. Still could do some boat dives at about 20-25$ per dive in that scenario if i wanted. That's why i asked where it is possible to do nice shore diving to keep costs low. There is lots of places in SEA where you can get accomodation for about 20$ per night and dives for about 20-25$ per dive. But that easily adds up to more then double per day.

---------- Post Merged at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:00 PM ----------

kathydee: Thanks so much for your comprehensive list. That is really helpful and something i was looking for.
japan-diver: Thanks for the info. 500-1000YEN sounds better then i expected in Okinawa, considering that 2-3 dive boat days run easily at 150$ not even including accomodation and other things. I'll keep it in mind. Do you offer those tank rentals yourself btw. or can you point the way where to get them. Also help in terms of dive locations would be nice.
pwrighte: I have been in Koh Tao before and i was not so impressed i have to say. For less then 30$ per dive you can get way better diving in my opinion in e.g. Malapascua or other places in SEA. But surely thanks for the opinion. It's highly appriciated!
Tortuga68: I have been twice to Tulamben before and that is my no.1 choice for a trip in the future. But i'm searching to find some shore diving spots in Philippines or Indonesia or other secret spots :)

There are some operators in the Philippines who rent tanks directly to divers, here in Moalboal where I am located, it would be difficult to find accomodations, rent tanks, have a good meals some beers and pay for transportation between shore dive sites for under $50 or 2100PHP. If you are traveling with a buddy splitting accomodations then it becomes a little easier.. We have around 6 dive sites which are relatively easy for the general public to shore dive. There are several others which are a little more difficult to get to without local knowledge.

If you need specific info on this feel free to PM me.

CHeers,
Roger

Air Phil Express fly into Cebu from HK for less than US$120.00 return(promotion) with 10kg free check in luggage throw in as well.
And from Cebu you have the choice of Bohol, Dumaguete, Mactan, Malapascua and Moalboal all within in 3-4 hrs from touch down.
Subic Bay is stone throw from Clark.
Language(English) is never a problem, can't say that in Indonesia or Thailand.

Cebu Pacific has the similar offer but the check in luggage is extra.

Hey there,

i just came back from Sulawesi, and i think you can find what you are looking for there. instead of staying at bunanken that can be crowded we opted for Bangka Island, there are only 3 resorts in the islands, we stayed at coraleye resort. it is a research post and its located in a pristine reef. you can both snorkel and dive. prices are good. 10 dives 200 euros. if not they are around 25 euros (boat dive), shore dive its around 5 euros. accomodation is around 40 euros including 3 meals, food is very good. dive masters know a lot, they have a local guide that is very good spotting things. you have muck diving just 20 mins away and lembeh straight about an hour by boat. they have bcds and other equipment in good conditions. reefs around are full of life. very good for macro.

i have dived in tulamben, and i think this place was as good or maybe better than there. can´t decide but its on my top list. i found prices very reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom