Cheap but still nice diving destinations in SEA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMoMo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm searching for cheap but nice diving destinations in South East Asia. I'm located in Hong Kong, so usually most places are easily and cheap reachable by plane. Anybody any tips? Shore diving is also ok btw.

Great tip :wink: I have traveled quite extensivly and i'm aware of all the common spots for dives in the 20-30$ range per dive and have visited some of those already. I was looking more for some good tips for budget diving. e.g. like shore diving in Tulamben as an example. Places where you can simply rent tanks and do some buddy diving. I heard it is possible in some places in Philippines, but it's hard to find good info.

Tulamben (area) is the best I have experienced if you want to set your own agenda, very relaxed plus great diving & accommodation

Only place I'm familiar with in the PI is Puerto Galera which is mostly boat diving but depending on the time of year and dive op it can be pretty relaxed & still fits your budget of <$30/dive

Okinawa, Japan has some of the best shore diving in the world and tank rental goes about Y500-Y1000 a tank depending on where you rent from. Just a short trip from Hong Kong - base yourself in Chatan in the middle of the island and you have some of the best soft coral reefs right outside your door.

Another vote for Tulamben Bali - Puri Madha has budget accommodations $10 per night - just west of the public dive park. Beautiful shore diving - bring a buddy.
Padangbai Bali - find a small budget room Toppi Inn is nice, and check dive prices with dive shops
Shore diving at Pulau Weh Sumatra, budget rooms available in the village. It's shallow but beautiful. I found the boat dives and operators quite questionable
Apo Island PI - beautiful, Try Liberty Lodge. If you don't mind roughing it inquire about home stay in the native village
Puerto Galarea PI - budget rooms can be found for $7 a night during off season. Keep looking :) Try behind Action divers in small lagoon
Coron PI, budget accommodations are available in the village - dive with Discover divers
Bunakan Sulawesi - stay at Lorenzos II - dive with Living Colors
Lembeh - two fish/NAD aren't too expensive and worth visiting

Google lonely planet "thorn tree forum" for more budget travelers info

Have fun!

Hi,

I'm searching for cheap but nice diving destinations in South East Asia. I'm located in Hong Kong, so usually most places are easily and cheap reachable by plane. Anybody any tips? Shore diving is also ok btw.

Hi MoMo,
If you describe what you consider the threshold for cheap we could be more helpful... :)
Cheers,
Roger

I consider cheap for example an offer i found at Tulamben which included a aircon room, breakfast and unlimited tanks for self diving at below 50US$ per day. Still could do some boat dives at about 20-25$ per dive in that scenario if i wanted. That's why i asked where it is possible to do nice shore diving to keep costs low. There is lots of places in SEA where you can get accomodation for about 20$ per night and dives for about 20-25$ per dive. But that easily adds up to more then double per day.

---------- Post Merged at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:00 PM ----------

kathydee: Thanks so much for your comprehensive list. That is really helpful and something i was looking for.
japan-diver: Thanks for the info. 500-1000YEN sounds better then i expected in Okinawa, considering that 2-3 dive boat days run easily at 150$ not even including accomodation and other things. I'll keep it in mind. Do you offer those tank rentals yourself btw. or can you point the way where to get them. Also help in terms of dive locations would be nice.
pwrighte: I have been in Koh Tao before and i was not so impressed i have to say. For less then 30$ per dive you can get way better diving in my opinion in e.g. Malapascua or other places in SEA. But surely thanks for the opinion. It's highly appriciated!
Tortuga68: I have been twice to Tulamben before and that is my no.1 choice for a trip in the future. But i'm searching to find some shore diving spots in Philippines or Indonesia or other secret spots :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom